7• second chance

I slept in on Saturday, making sure I had the energy to spend the night partying

I slept in on Saturday, making sure I had the energy to spend the night partying. Cat had offered to pick me up later that afternoon and we were all going to get ready for Gabi's party together.

I was so consumed by the music I was listening to, drumming my fingers against my makeup table that I almost didn't hear the knocking on my door. Humming to the lyrics because I didn't know them well enough to sing along yet, I let my hands search through the drawers, picking out makeup products to bring to Sammy's.

"Hanna?" I suddenly grew aware of the knocking as it grew louder, cursing under my breath, I dived across the room to turn my speakers down.

"Sorry, come in!" I shouted, hand still on the volume switch when my mum walked in, tray in hand.

"Going out?" she asked, eyeing the clothes sprawled out on top of my bed and the open makeup drawers.

"Um, yeah" I nervously smiled, running my hands over my thighs. My mum didn't like when I went out too much, once a month was fine with her if I told her exactly where I was going and when I'd be back but more often than that was a no no.

I nervously gulped, ready for her to tell me I couldn't go. "I know Sammy's birthday party was only last week bu-"

"Have fun, honey" she smiled, cutting me off with a smile. A smile?

Wait, what?

The surprise must've been written all over my face because she started laughing and placed the tray with food on my bedside table. "It's fine, Hanna. I get it. Go have fun with the girls tonight as long as it doesn't affect your school work and you're in bed at a reasonable time, it's all good" she told me and a big smile took over my face.

"Thank you so much, mum!" I squealed after my brain had registered her words, I ran over and pulled her in for a hug. "Actually about school, we were planning on studying all day tomorrow so could I maybe sleep over at Sammy's?" I quickly added since she was in such a good mood.

My mum nodded her head. "Okay, I trust you, honey"

Okay, now she was just getting straight up scary. Who was this woman and what had she done with my strict, overprotective mother?

"Okay.." I hesitantly smiled, still ready for her to start laughing and say something like 'just kidding, you aren't going anywhere'.

"I brought you dinner, it's nothing special and I'm sorry we can't eat together tonight but you know dad has another night shift and I'm off to work as well now" she mumbled, straightening out her pencil skirt and pointing to the tray of food and tea. Mum always made me tea, I think it was the Brit in her.