28• the biology project

I had no trouble finding my ex's curly head of brown hair the next day

I had no trouble finding my ex's curly head of brown hair the next day. To my surprise and delight he didn't seem to recognize me with my new hair. When I walked into the study area of the library he looked up but almost immediately looked down again, thinking I was someone else.

"Woaah" James finally realized it was me when I was standing right in front of him, dropping my bag onto the carpeted floor. "When did that happen?" he asked, pointing to my hair that was now cut to chin length.

"Yesterday" I mumbled as I sat down across from him. Obviously. I noticed he was wearing the hoodie that I used to borrow from him all the time because I liked it so much.

He smiled when he noticed me staring at it. This was no coincidence.

"Did you let any of the girls you cheated on me with borrow your hoodies as well by the way?"

His eyes widened and he seemed speechless for a moment before he composed himself and leaned towards me to hiss: "What the hell, Hanna?!"

"Just curious" I gave him a fake smile. "SO! Biology, let's get started!"

"Seriously, what's wrong with you?" he whispered when I pretended nothing happened.

"I know you chose that hoodie on purpose" I ignored his question. "And I don't know what exactly your intentions are but here are mine: I want to wrap this stupid project up as quickly as possible and then go back to not talking to you, okay?"

The frown that had been glued to his face for the past two minutes only deepened. "Are you on your period or something?"

Pinching my eyebrows in annoyance I had to hold myself back from insulting him. "No but I'd highly appreciate it if you'd take me seriously"

"Look it's not my fault that you're not over me and my clothes remind you of our relationship. You don't have to be a bitch to me just because we're no longer dating"

"I am over you, James."

"Suure" he chuckled. "Didn't sound like it three minutes ago when you asked me about giving my clothes to other girls" His eyes were poison, pure poison. I wondered how I had ever thought them to be beautiful.

"Think whatever you want, I honestly could not care less. Can we please start the project now?"

"Not if you're gonna keep being a bitch"

"I'll try to be nice" I hissed after we stared at each other in total silence for a few minutes, shooting arrows of lightning at each other. This was gonna be much more difficult than expected.

"Alright" he sighed after a while. "Here's the material" he handed me the worksheets and some notes from our teacher about what the presentation needed to include.