17• moving on

Was it though

Was it though..?
Just a dream?

"I can't believe Cat ditched us"

"Hm?"

Bright yellow lights, loud chatter, a stench of grease in the air. The school cafeteria. I rubbed my burning eyes, exhausted from so little sleep last night. With a groan I opened them to find Sammy taking shape in front of me, her short bob pulled up into two space buns. She had leaned back in her chair and was chewing on what should be pizza but looked more like a fatty slice of melted cheese on dough. Her pretty peach lipstick was getting smudged by the greasy food.

"Look at her" she shook her head, tone so annoyed that it made my eyes follow hers to find Cat, in the arms of Jimin, at the table of the soccer guys. She was wearing a flowy red dress, her long blonde hair loosely falling over her shoulders in soft curls. For a moment I found myself lost in her beauty before my mind snapped back to reality. She was laughing, really loudly. Jimin was playing with the hem of her dress, a slight blush on his cheeks. Both of them were glowing with happiness.

"Let her live a bit. They just got together" I sighed, tearing my eyes off of Cat as she erupted in giggles once again. She looked amazing with her rosy cheeks and bright eyes.

"You never ditched us for James, at least not at school" Sammy remarked, letting her pizza slice flop back down onto its plate.

I let my head sink down onto the hard cafeteria plastic table, pushing my untouched tray of pizza aside. "Yes, because he was hiding me from his friends. James wanted to keep me a secret. We should be grateful Jimin treats Cat so well and that she's happy" Every single word that rolled off my tongue felt like a struggle. I had gotten not a single hour of peaceful sleep the previous night. All because I was overthinking, overthinking, overthinking.

That was what I could do best. Overthink. Especially when it came to boys.

Sammy didn't say anything in return to that but she did finally look away from Cat and Jimin, her eyes now on me. Her annoyed frown was quickly replaced with a much softer expression as well as a glint of worry in her eyes at the sight of my slouched state. I looked and felt a mess.

"Boo, you have to eat something" she mumbled, referring to my untouched food. She pat my shoulder and I let a quiet sigh escape from my lips.

"I'm so tired I can't think straight, much less eat." I groaned, head still down on the table, giving zero fucks whether people were staring.

"Besides, that pizza looks disgusting" I added after a quick glance towards Sammy's plate.

"It is. It's more plain grease than pizza to be honest" Sammy uttered.

"Ew"

"At least drink your strawberry milk then. You won't make it through the rest of the day with an empty stomach. And don't you have Biology next period?"