Chapter 21: Saffron City Gym

After gaining a new friend, a comedic ghost at that, our protagonists are heading back to Saffron City.

Zia had let Aine back out so she could float around with them. They were on the cliff that Zia had run off of when they first came by here. "I'm excited for this battle. Aren't you Emmy?" Zia asked as she turned to look at her starter. "Um s-sure." She stuttered.

"Hm? What wrong?" Zia questioned at she looked at the nervous Servine. "You know, I might possibly be allergic to ghosts! I'm feeling a bit dizzy over here." She stated while staying away from Aine. "Oh come on, you're not afraid of Aine, are you?" Sky added as she sat next to the floating ghost-type. "Yeah, she's adorable." Zia commented as the Haunter nuzzled her.

"Cute, right." Emmy said sarcastically. Zia then remembered she forgot to tell Aine about the gym. "Hey, Aine, when we get in the city we are going to be battling a girl named Sabrina. She uses psychic Pokemon which is why I went to Lavender Town. Will you help me?" She asked. Haunter nodded and smiled at her. Zia returned the smile and then went off into the city.

They made their way into the gym, same as before, and headed to the main room. Zia smiled brightly as she caught sight of Sabrina. "I'm back again. This time I'm ready." She stated. Sabrina allowed a very tiny smile to show through but she was still for the most part emotionless to everyone else. She once again floated from her seat and to the field. "Go, Kadabra." She said as the pokeball also floated and released on the field.

"Let's go Aine." Zia called. Though when she didn't see her new ghost Pokemon on the field she looked around. "Aine? Where did you go? This isn't the time for a joke, we can do those later!" She said. Sabrina looked a bit confused. "If you can't find your Pokemon, maybe you should go look for it before you challenge me." She suggested. Zia chuckled in embarrassment and headed back outside.

She searched around the gym for a few minutes but still couldn't find the mischievous Haunter. Taking a break, she sat down on a near by bench and caught her breath while Sky and Emmy took a quick nap. When she sensed someone near her, she lifted her head up and saw the jogging man. "Have you seen a Haunter by any chance?" She asked hopefully. He shook his head no and she sighed. He took a seat next to her and began telling a story.

"You know, Sabrina didn't always used to be this emotionless." He started. Zia glanced at him. "You knew her before she changed?" She asked. He stuttered. "Uh, well I've heard stories!"

"Though she was young, Sabrina became obsessed with her psychic powers. She didn't exactly want friends. Instead, she wanted to be alone and further her psychic capabilities. Her parents wanted and tried to help but she drove them away as well." He explained. He then pulled out a picture and handed it to Zia. It was a younger Sabrina that looks like the doll she now carries, and her parents. "The conflict of emotions inside her caused her to somehow split into two girls. The strong trainer who is detached from feelings and the lonely little girl who wishes to make friends. That doll Sabrina holds is like a representation of her true self." He continued on. Zia listened to every word and inspected the photo.

She turned back to him. "You're her father." She stated. He looked taken aback and then sighed. "Yes, I am Sabrina's father. Now I suggest you go look for your Haunter." He advised. Zia nodded and stood back up, continuing her search for Aine.

"Where is Aine at?!" Zia exasperated as she and her two Pokemon walked around the city. "I wish I knew." Sky sighed out. Emmy nodded in agreement and they walked on, passing under a window cleaner pulley box?. They all suddenly heard screams from above them and Zia recognized them easily. "Team Rocket?" She questioned as she looked up to the them dangling from the box and pulley with Aine floating above them.