Chapter 58: Fighting Fire with Fire

After learning that Zia and Ash would be each other's opponent for the fifth round, the whole group went back to the cabin they're staying at to rest for the night.

Misty, Brock, and Ash had gone to their room while Zia and KC went to their shared room as well. The white haired girl was staring out the window as she was deep in thought. "I can't believe I have to battle Ash already." She sighed.

"I get he's a friend, Zia, but you can't let that stop you." Sky warned as she laid next to her trainer/best friend's feet. "I'm not! I just wasn't mentally prepared for it yet, I guess. But I will be by tomorrow. I won't let anyone stop me. Not Ash, not Gary, not Richie, no one." Zia argued. "Good. 'Cause I already know Misty and Brock are telling Ash the same thing we're telling you." Emmy said as she yawned, coiled up on the bed she sleeps on in the room.

"They also checked your information on the Pokemon League website. Though, from what I could tell, they didn't get anything they didn't already know. Misty and Brock wouldn't tell Ash what Pokemon they knew you had either, so you're still a mystery to Ash. Meanwhile, you know just about all of his Pokemon." KC said as he entered the room with Kirlia.

"It seems unfair, but it's just playing smart on your part, Zia. So don't feel bad about the lopsided knowledge." Kirlia added in. Zia smiled at all of them. "Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice. However, I'm not going to let a friendship get in the way of letting me battle to my fullest, and I'm sure Ash feels the same." Zia told them confidently.

~~~

The next day, Zia, KC, and their Pokemon went to the Pokemon center to pick up the Pokemon Zia will be using in her match against Ash. "Hello, Zia. Here are your Pokemon, completely refreshed and healthy for your match today." Nurse Joy said sweetly as Zia took the pokeballs.

"Thank you, Nurse Joy." Zia saw with a smile as she left the center, going straight to the stadium. The match starts in little less than half an hour, it wouldn't hurt to get there a little early.

"Are you ready, Zia?" KC asked her. "I'm excited. Maybe a little nervous about battling a friend, but mostly excited." She replied as they waited in the tunnel area that led to the arena. "Your match starts in ten minutes now, they'll be opening up the doors any second." KC warned just as the doors opened. "Good timing." Zia chuckled.

She handed Kaida to him as she walked out with Emmy and Sky at her sides. "Zia has entered the stadium and just listen to the roar of the crowd!" The announcer said as the crowd almost deafened Zia with their cheers.

She smiled and waved a bit as they got even louder, if that was possible. She walked out onto the field and into her trainer's box as Emmy and Sky sat next to her. After a few more minutes of waiting, Ash still wasn't there. "What's keeping him?" Zia asked worriedly.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have an unusual drama unfolding here at the Indigo Stadium. We're ready to start this fifth round Pokemon League match, but trainer, Ash Ketchum, is nowhere to be seen. If Ketchum doesn't arrive in time, he'll forfeit the match and Zia - his would be opponent - will be declared the winner." The announcer explained to the waiting crowd.

"Come on, Ash. You're not going out like this." Zia muttered as she stared at the empty box opposite her. Suddenly, Misty ran out. "And now it looks like one of Ketchum's coaches has come on to the field!" The announcer said as she ran over to Zia.

"I wanna know what you said to Ash!" She asked angrily. "What do you mean?" Zia asked. "Tell me now!" The red head yelled as she stepped closer to Zia threateningly. Sky jumped in front of her and growled, making her back off.