Chapter 53: Indigo Plateau

Zia and the rest have finally made it to the Indigo Plateau. Zia was humming and skipping along as Kaida cried happily and excitedly from her arms.

"I've never seen her this happy." KC said quietly from beside the Pokemon. "She's ecstatic." Emmy replied. "Yeah, she's been aiming for this for around a year now, of course she's happy." Sky answered as well. "I can imagine." Kirlia stated as they continued to watch her.

As they made it into a town, a crowd was waiting at the outskirts. "I wonder what they're doing." Zia pondered as they suddenly started cheering, running past the little group. They all turned to look to see a man running in a white tank top and shorts, a pokeball design was printed on the shirt. He was holding a flaming torch. There was a Hitmonlee beside him, along with Officer Jenny on her motorbike and a truck behind her.

"It's the torch." KC stated. "The torch?" Zia asked, wondering why she has never heard of these things. "They use it to light the flame that burns during the whole Pokemon League Competition. It's supposed to inspire all the trainers and Pokemon who compete in the Pokemon League. Being one of the torchbearers is a huge honor." He explained as they watched the man run with the torch in hand.

"Huh." Is all Zia said. "There's a legend that says the flame comes from way back in ancient times from the flames of Moltres." He added as Zia looked it up. It was a giant yellow bird with flames coming off of its head, wings, and tail.

Moltres: The Flame Pokemon
A legendary bird Pokemon. As it flaps its flaming wings, even the night sky will turn red.

"That'd be amazing if the flame really is from Moltres." She muttered. Suddenly, a kid jumped onto the path, in front of the torchbearer. He had black hair with a red and white hat on his head. A black t-shirt with a blue jacket on. Green fingerless gloves covered his hands. He also had on light blue jeans and sneakers.

"Whoo! Way to go! Okay, I'll take the torch from here." He said to the torchbearer. Officer Jenny blew her whistle and ran over. "Only approved competitors are allowed to carry that flame." She shouted.

"Is that kid insane?" Sky asked. "Probably. He looks a little dense." Emmy added. Suddenly, two other people walked up behind the insane kid. Zina recognized them as Misty and Brock.

"Oh my Arceus." Zia said as she ran over, after giving Kaida to Sky that is. "Misty! Brock!" Zia yelled as she came up to them. They both turned at the sounds of their names as Zia jumped onto Brock, hugging him. "It's been so long." She said as the Pewter Gym Leader caught her, gently setting her back on her feet.

She then turned and hugged Misty. "Zia?" They both asked in disbelief. Zia pulled back and nodded, a big grin on her face. "Yup. It's me." She said as she heard footsteps behind her, meaning KC and the rest caught up.

"It really is you. And KC! What's up man?" Brock asked as he and KC greeted each other. "Who is he?" Misty asked, referring to Zia's travel partner. "Long story short, his name is KC and he's traveling with me." Zia answered.

"Aww, and who's this?" Zia asked as she bent down to look at the Pokemon in Misty's arms. It looked like an egg. "Oh! This is Togepi, we found it as an egg and I got to keep it. It recently just hatched." The red head replied. "An egg? I got one too! Sky, come over here." Zia said as she called the Luxray over.

"Oh, it seems Sky has evolved." Misty stated. "Mmhmm. And this is Kaida, she just hatched as well. She's a Dratini." Zia explained as she held out the baby Pokemon. "Oh, she's so cute!" Misty awed.