Chapter 43: Mysterious Garden

As Zia continues towards Cinnabar Island, she takes up a few challengers along the way.

"Rhyhorn, I choose you!" Her opponent yelled as he released his Pokemon. "Vinnie, help me out." Zia said as she released her Bulbasaur. KC was standing off to the side holding Kirlia. Sky and Emmy stood next to him, Kaida sitting on the Luxray's back as they all watched.

"Rhyhorn, takedown now." Her opponent yelled as the Pokemon charged. "Vinnie, leech seed." Zia said. However, the Rhyhorn was quick and had already hit Vinnie head on. It knocked her Pokemon a few feet away. He shakily got up, sporting a bump on his head.

"Maybe you should go back, Vinnie." Zia said worriedly. "No! I want to keep fighting." Vinnie said firmly. "If you're so sure." She muttered. "You must be a lousy trainer kid, Pokemon won't even listen to you." Her opponent jeered as she rolled her eyes. "No, I just know how to listen. Vinnie, razor leaf." Zia ordered as her Bulbasaur released multiple sharp leaves.

It hit the Rhyhorn directly, causing a good amount of damage from the type advantage. "Now, poison power. Then vine whip." She continued. Vinnie nodded and released the poisonous powder from its bulb, making the Rhyhorn weak. It then attacked it with its vines repeatedly before spinning it around.

When it finally stopped, the Rhyhorn had fainted. "Good job, Vinnie." Zia cheered as her opponent walked up to her. "You sure chopped me down to size, kid. Your Bulbasaur's great." He complimented. "Thank you. Your Rhyhorn is amazing as well." She returned.

"Vinnie can never settle for second place, huh, Zia?" KC asked as he and the others walked over. "Most of Zia's Pokemon, including myself, are that way." Emmy said, Kirlia translating for the male as always. Zia just chuckled and looked back over at Vinnie, who didn't look so well.

He could barely stand up, and he was sweating. "Vinnie? What's wrong?" Zia asked as she ran over. The bulb on his back began to glow. "Vinnie! Come on, we have to go." Zia said as she picked the Bulbasaur up. They said goodbye to the Rhyhorn trainer as they ran towards the nearest Pokemon center. Though, Sky had to be careful to make sure Kaida didn't fall off.

When they made it, Zia immediately went up to Nurse Joy. "Something is wrong with my Bulbasaur, can you take a look?" Zia asked as she laid her Pokemon on the table, the bulb on his back still glowing. Joy leaned down to look at him for a moment. "I wonder if this Bulbasaur is..." She trailed off.

"Is there something? Please tell me." Zia pleaded, nervous and concerned. "I can't be for sure until I examine it, but I'll do what I can." Nurse Joy promised as she put the Bulbasaur on a stretcher as Chansey wheeled him away, Joy following right behind.

"Dra! Dratini!" Kaida suddenly began speaking. However, because she was so young, Zia couldn't tell what she was saying. But, neither could the other Pokemon since she was basically speaking gibberish, even in their language. Again, because she's a newborn. What they missed was the way some flowers in a vase had bloomed instantaneously.

Not noticing it, they all went towards the window of the room Vinnie was in to see him hooked up to a couple different machines. After a few minutes of looking everything over, Joy came back out. "Is he going to be okay?" Zia asked her.

"You don't have to worry about your Bulbasaur, Zia. It isn't sick at all. It's just getting ready to evolve." Joy announced as Zia's face lit up. "Really? Oh, that's so much better than anything I could've imagined." She said as she slumped down into a chair. Kaida hopping onto her lap. Zia giggled as she licked her face, pushing the Pokemon away.

"How long until he evolves?" KC asked curiously. "Let me see." Nurse Joy said as she walked over to the window, the others right behind her. They all looked outside to see a patch of flowers bloom suddenly. Kaida made a noise of excitement, making Zia believe that that's what she saw earlier.