Chapter 56: Winner, Winner, Gary, Buy Me Dinner

On the day of the fourth round matches for the Pokemon League Competition, Zia and company are firstly watching from the stands as they witness Gary's battle.

They were both down to one Pokemon each. Gary had a Nidoking while his opponent, a girl named Melissa, had a Golem. Gary had attacked with a horn attack, however, the Golem countered with a seismic toss, knocking Nidoking out.

"This battle goes to Melissa!" The ref called as the crowd cheered. "She's done it, after a grueling battle, Melissa has won a last minute upset over Gary Oak for her fourth Pokemon League victory!" The announcer declared as the cheerleaders beside Zia and the rest cried. Even Gary, usually so arrogant and smug, looked defeated and upset.

"I'm actually shocked. I wanted to beat him, how dare he act all tough like that and lose to someone else." Zia pouted as she hugged Kaida closer. "Dratini? Dra!" She cried and nuzzled Zia cutely.

"I can't believe it, either." Ash muttered. "The competition here is really tough, you two." Misty stated. After the interviews, cheering, etc, was done, Zia and Ash waited outside the arena for a certain auburn haired male.

When they saw him come out and began to get into his fancy red car, Zia and Ash stepped up. "Gary." Ash called out to him, stopping him. Gary immediately put that smirk back on his face and turned to face them. "That trainer was lucky that I got distracted by all the girls cheering for me." He said.

The girls waiting in the car were still sobbing, much to Zia's annoyance. "They're a bit disappointed, but they'll get over it, won't you girls?" Gary asked them as they cried louder. "See ya later Ash, Zia." He said and hopped into the car as the driver drove away. "You have to buy me dinner since you didn't battle me like promised!" Zia yelled after him. "Only if you win!" He shouted back, not looking at her.

"I've never seen him so sad before." Zia mumbled as she watched him go for a minute. "What do you mean? He looked as arrogant as ever." Ash told her, confused. "Ash, I don't know how long you've known Gary, but we were practically raised as siblings. As annoying as he is, I've learned how to tell what he's really feeling. Trust me, that arrogance he just showed us was a front. I can tell he's distraught, but he's like me. He won't give up trying, in that regard I can really see us like brother and sister almost." She answered him, staring at the car riding off into the distance.

Ash looked at the side of her face, unaware she knew Gary that well. For as much as the two argue with one another, Zia and Gary do care for one another. It's just like Zia said, a sibling-like relationship. And in those relationships, the brother and sister always annoy one another, it's only natural. It shows how much the other cares in their books.

"Hey Ash! You better hurry up! You're fourth match is starting on the grass field any minute now!" Misty yelled a little ways away. "Yours too, Zia! You have to be at the water field in ten minutes." KC warned from beside the red head.

"Ah! No way!" They both yelled and started to run in separate directions, towards the field they were meant to battle on. Brock and Misty went with Ash while KC stayed with Zia.

"The fourth round on the water field will now begin! The green trainer is the up and coming fan favorite, Zia Braxs! The red trainer is a seasoned competitor, welcome Terry Dillon!" The announcer says as the two appeared in the trainer boxes.

Zia looked over her opponent to see a male, around 17, with short blonde hair and blue eyes. He wore a white suit, and Zia could hear all the girls screaming loudly for him. He was smirking the whole time they studied each other, which made Zia huff and throw her long white hair over her shoulder, having enough of smirks for one day.

"My, my, what is a pretty little thing like you doing out here? You shouldn't be battling." Terry said to her, making her cock an eyebrow. "And who are you to say that? Egotistical little-" Zia began, however, the announcer cut her off. "Okay! Now let's see which Pokemon our competitors will send out first!" They said loudly.