Chapter 85: What Next?

Everyone had moved to a more open area as Ash and Gary stood in front of each other, ready to have their long awaited battle.

"Maybe the best way to do this is for each of us to pick just one Pokémon and have a one-on-one battle to the finish." Gary suggested as Zia stepped up to be the referee for this battle, just so neither side can call foul.

"That's fine by me. I'm gonna battle with Pikachu." Ash agreed as his electric-type ran in front of him. "Just as I thought. I choose you!" Gary declared as he sent out his Pokémon. An Eevee appeared as Zia began to coo at its cuteness.

She lightly slapped her face, knocking herself out of the trance. "This will be a one-on-one Pokémon battle. Pikachu vs. Eevee with no time limit. You may begin." Zia announced as she stepped back.

It started off with Pikachu going in with a quick attack. Eevee softened the blow with a reflect. "That didn't seem to do anything..." Zia mumbled to herself, seeing how Gary's Eevee made no physical sign of injury.

As Pikachu attacked with a thunderbolt, Eevee avoided it with a double team before countering with a take down. However, this time the electric mouse dodged with an agility.

As it successfully avoided the take down, Ash called for a thunder. "Eevee, use your skull bash." Gary cut in quickly. Before Pikachu was able to release the thunder, the normal-type fox Pokémon rammed into it with a white aura surrounding it.

In turn, Pikachu's thunder still went off, only serving to injure the electric-type itself instead. Pikachu, pretty beaten up by now, weakly stood up as Gary's Eevee stood strong, having taken little to no damage. However, Ash's trusted partner couldn't take it and ended up fainting.

"The match is over! Pikachu is unable to battle, which means Gary and his Eevee are the winners." Zia stated as Ash ran over to help his injured Pokémon. Meanwhile, Gary pet and showered his Eevee with compliments for a good job. Zia smiled lightly at both sides' love for their Pokémon. It was truly a nice sight to see.

"I must say, Gary, after all the training you've been doing, you've impressed me. It's really paid off." Oak said to his grandson. "Thanks, but I'd still got a lot of work ahead of me. Especially compared to our champ over here." Gary argued, pulling Zia over as he ruffled her hair teasingly as an older brother would do to their sister.

"Glad to see you're not acting as much of a jerk anymore. You used to be so sweet." She teased him as he acted offended. "I've always been sweet. I even brought you a gift." He told her as she looked at him curiously.

Picking up the bag that she didn't even notice he had in the first place, he pulled out an egg encased in an incubator. It was colored white and a kind of cream color. Zia gasped as she gently took it from him, her eyes investigating the egg.

"This species grows pretty quick, unlike your Dratini over there. It'll already know a bunch once it's hatched." Gary told her as she nodded, still looking at it through the glass. "Thank you, Gary. This is amazing." She told him as she placed an innocent kiss on his cheek.

Gary chuckled at her happiness, he's missed this. The excitement of having a Pokémon at last got to his head and all he could focus on was getting stronger. Now, as he's had time to clear his head, he's realized how much of a jerk he's been to her recently. To him, she'll always be his little sister, and now that he remembers that, he'll make sure to protect her to the best of his abilities.

"Anyways, you did a great job, Ash. Eevee, return." He said, recalling his partner into its pokeball. "Goodbye, Grandpa, Zia." Gary farewelled as he began walking away. "Next time it'll be different, Gary!" Ash yelled after the other male as the former waved without looking back. "Bye big bro!" Zia yelled as well, using her old nickname for him as he disappeared from sight.