Chapter 32: And They're Off!

"Uh, Zia, what's that?" Emmy asked as the ground shook. The three of them peacefully walking through a field only moments beforehand. Zia looked in the distance to see a cloud of dust. As it got closer, she could make out some type of Pokemon, and there was a herd of them. It looked like a bull, with three tails.

Tauros: The Wild Bull Pokemon
When it targets an enemy, it charges furiously while whipping its body with its long tails.

"Wouldn't want to get in their way." Zia muttered as they watched the herd run by. Suddenly, Sky made a noise of pain. Concerned, Emmy and Zia turned around to see some other type of Pokemon had fallen on top of the Luxray, making her fall. It looked like a mix between a dog and a tiger.

Growlithe: The Puppy Pokemon
Extremely loyal, it will fearlessly bark at any opponent to protect its own trainer from harm.

"Aww!" Zia cooed at the fire-type. Sky snorted. "Yeah, cute, but I want it off of me." She said and stood up, bucking the Growlithe off of herself. Suddenly, a neigh made Zia jump as she turned around to see a horse-like Pokemon that was cream in color with a flaming mane and tail. There was a girl riding it, with blue hair in a ponytail.

Ponyta: The Fire Horse Pokemon
Capable of jumping incredibly high. It's hooves and sturdy legs absorb the impact of a hard landing. Its hooves are ten times harder than diamonds.

"Were you trying to catch Pokemon?" The girl asked in a heavy southern accent. "No, ma'am. We were just passing through. But, if I may ask, why'd you ask?" Zia questioned. "This here is a Pokemon reserve, where it's illegal to capture Pokemon so they can grow up naturally. Have you ever heard of the Big P. Pokemon Ranch that's owned by the Laramie family?" The girl asked at the end.

Zia thought for a moment. "Isn't that the place where they raise Pokemon in the wild? Oh, so this is that place then." Zia realized. "Yes. This is the Laramie Big P. Pokemon Ranch and I'm Lara Laramie. And this Growlithe makes sure nobody tries to capture our Pokemon." Lara explained as the Growlithe appeared next to her.

"Oh, so Growlithe must've misunderstood and tried to stop Sky. It's fine though, I understand." Zia said hurriedly, seeing Lara open her mouth to apologize. "But, you sure got some interesting Pokemon there. What are they?" Lara asked. Zia smiled and pointed at Sky first.

"Well Sky, who I have just mentioned, is a Luxray from the Sinnoh region. She's an electric-type. Emmy here is a Serperior, from the Unova region, and she's a grass-type. She's also a shiny." She explained, ending with the Serperior. "Anyways, y'all can come back with me and check out the ranch." Lara suggested as Zia nodded, she and her two Pokemon following her down to the ranch.

It was a nice, quaint place. Very relaxing and soothing. Zia then noticed something peculiar. "Isn't it hot sitting on that Ponyta?" Zia asked, confused. "There's no need to worry. Ponyta will never, ever burn anybody it really trusts." Lara explained. "That's sweet. Shows how loyal the Pokemon can be. There always needs to be a strong connection between Pokemon and trainer." Zia responded, smiling.

Lara looked at her strangely. "Usually when somebody hears that, they still try and pet my Ponyta here. You're different, it's interesting." She said, making Zia tilt her head. "I don't understand why anybody would. You just explained Ponyta never burns anybody it trusts. If that's the case, it doesn't trust easily and it's earned. Nobody can just expect it to happen automatically, so why try." The girl replied.