Chapter 37: Partner in Crime

Continuing on her Pokemon journey, Zia, along with Sky and Emmy of course, arrive at a town just in time to see the carnival. There were many things going on from dancers to rides to other sorts of entertainment.

"This looks amazing!" Emmy cheered, looking around with bright eyes. Zia laughed and looked around. "So what do you guys want to do first?" She asked. "That ice cream looks delicious." Sky stated, gesturing over to a nearby food vendor.

They each got their own ice cream and sat down to eat it, since Sky and Emmy don't have have hands to hold it with. When they were done, they all went on different rides. rollercoasters, merry-go-rounds, and anything else that makes you either want to throw up or smile brightly.

They had just gotten off of another coaster ride when they heard an interesting conversation. "That's it. I quit!" A feminine voice yelled as Zia and the other two hid behind some bushes. They watched as an orange headed woman stood beside a groveling man who was bowing. She had a red one-piece with a bow tie, a blue jacket hung over her shoulders, heels, and Vulpix ears on her head with a matching tail.

The man had a green suit with a top hat. "Please don't leave me. I promise to pay you as soon as I can." The man pleaded. "Then pay me right now." The woman demanded angrily. "I can't just now. But I promise, as soon as I get some paying customers, I'll pay you." The man promised. Zia then noticed what looks like a pile of six eggs next to him.

The woman spun around, glaring down at him. "And just who do you think is going to come watch your lousy show?" She asked. "They'll come, I promise!" He said as he hugged her legs almost pathetically.

"I've heard your promises before!" The woman shouted as she threw him off of herself, throwing him into a nearby table that was set out next to them, where they were behind a building.

"Huh, goodbye." She spat and left. "Don't leave, I need you." He cried sadly. However, she was already long gone. Zia felt bad and walked over, standing over him. "Excuse me sir, are you alright?" She asked.

"You're a kind person, aren't you?" He asked, reaching out to her like a dying man would. "Well, uh, depends on the person, I guess." She answered uncertainly. "And such a beautiful girl." He added, creeping her out a bit.

"You'd help me out, wouldn't you? I need your help so badly, and you'd be so perfect." He mumbled before falling back down. "Don't push yourself." She warned. "You're the only one who can help me now. Please just listen." He pleaded as he sat back up, leaning closer to the weirded out girl.

"Keep an open mind." He added. "Ok." Zia agreed. All of a sudden, he stood up, acting like he wasn't just about to pass out, cry, something. "I'd like you to become the assistant in my act." He said with a smile. Zia tilted her head, not expecting that.

The eggs next to them cheered loudly. "I'm a magician. My name's Melvin." He introduced. "Uh, hi." Zia responded. "For you." Melvin said as he held his hand out, a flower appearing. Zia smiled and took it as he tied a little piece of rope around it, mini flags with different images hanging off.

"I'm not very famous, but I'm working really hard on my magic act. My dream is to have my own Las Vegas showroom and preform my magic act before thousands of cheering fans. Won't you help me make my dream come true?" Melvin asked. Zia glanced back over at Emmy and Sky to see them shrugging. She thought about it before returning to the man.

"I'll help, but just for today." She agreed. "Thank you so much!" He exclaimed happily. "By the way, where's Las Vegas?" Zia asked, never hearing of that place before. "I'm not sure, I've just heard it's a great place for magic." He said. "Oh, okay."

~~~

Once Melvin had told Zia the basics, the first show began. Zia stood next to the magician on stage in a pretty dress that resembled a Luxray. "Welcome ladies and gentlemen. Let me introduce myself. I am Melvin the Magician Magnificent." Melvin said. Talking to the barely existent crowd. There were only a few people there, maybe around four.