Chapter 30: Whack-A-Mole

"Where is the next gym, Zia?" Emmy whined, tired of walking. Sky and Zia rolled their eyes as the girl got out her map. "I think Fuchsia Gym is supposed to be around here... somewhere." She stated.

"Where is somewhere?" Sky questioned, already getting a feeling. "Over the mountain." Zia said vaguely. "Which mountain?" The Luxray continued. "Well, the map says the gym is over the mountains around here. Is it that way? Or this way?" Zia mumbled the last part.

"We're surrounded by mountains on every side. So it could be either way." The girl muttered. "We're lost again, aren't we?" Sky asked, voicing her earlier feeling. "Maybe..." Zia confirmed.

"Oh wait! It looks like there's a road here." The girl exclaimed. "Then let's go." Emmy pushed, making them start walking again. As the three trekked on, a sudden explosion made them lose their balance. They all stumbled a bit before regaining themselves when it stopped.

"What was that?!" Emmy screeched. Another blast occurred. "It's over that way." Zia said as they all began to go in that direction. They ran through the forest only to see tons of huge trucks transporting things down a road. The road led to what looked like a construction site.

Something created an obstruction in the road that caused a truck to fall over, resulting in a huge wreck with the trucks behind it. "What happened?" Sky asked, not seeing the cause, much like the other two.

Suddenly, something popped up from the ground. It was brown with a big pink oval. Only Emmy saw it before it went back underground, so she didn't say anything. Looking back over, they saw a man in a construction worker outfit climb out of one of the fallen trucks and fall to the ground.

"I just can't take it anymore!" He screamed. "Sir, are you alright?" Zia asked as the three of them ran over to him. "It's the Diglett. They're destroying everything!" The man said. "Diglett?" Zia asked. "See, they're right over there." He stated, pointing off to the side.

They all looked over to see a group of small Pokemon popping out of the ground. "Thanks to them, we can't finish building that dam!" The man exclaimed, gesturing to the construction site.

Diglett: The Mole Pokemon
Lives about one yard underground where it feeds on plant roots. It sometimes appears above ground.

"It looks like we'll never be able to accomplish our dream of building the great Giva Dam here in these mountains." The saddened man muttered. Zia could take a guess and believe he's talking about the thing they're building in the distance. Another explosion occurred, sending a huge piece of rock falling.

"Is the blasting part of it?" Zia asked, concerned. "Yes, the blasting is part of building a dam! But we can't get supplies through because of Diglett!" The man yelled. "That would be a problem." Zia mumbled.

Zia felt bad for the guy, but she has a strange feeling. "We even created a special division for devolving strategies to fight off the Diglett. We're calling for any available Pokemon trainer who's traveling through the area, somebody with real Pokemon know-how who can help us get rid of the Diglett! The reward is a six-night, seven-day stay at the famous Give Hot Springs Resort. If you know any Pok-" The man said, being cut off by Emmy who turned to Zia.

"Take it! I need a resort break, I am tired of walking. Do. It." She said seriously. Zia sighed and shrugged, knowing if she refused, the Servine wouldn't stop complaining for weeks. "I'm a Pokemon trainer. I could help." The girl said politely. "Ah, so you're the first squad of Pokemon trainers we called in." The construction man stated, happy. "Well, I wasn't called in, so to say..." Zia tried to correct, but got cut off when the sound of vehicles pulled up.