Part 12: Small Portions

Another long chapter pour vous, mes amis. Let me know who your favourite character is! I'd love to know!

Also, if you haven't already seen, Mason's pov of Apt no.4 is on my profile with the first chapter ready to read :) xx

"Do you think you'll apply for the local school?" He asked out of the blue. I tilted my head to the side in confusion. "When you finish your degree, have you thought about places to apply?"

"Oh," well, I hadn't really thought about it. I still had a year left and I even thought I might go back and do a bachelor of science or major in another Arts study but I still wasn't sure."I haven't really thought about it," I smiled sweetly and he nodded.

"What about you? Have you looked at places?" I spun the question around in hope that he'd asked it for that reason.

"Well, there's always spots open for engineers. If I work hard enough for the next year and a bit maybe one of the profs will get me an internship or put in a good word with one of the corps around here,"

I nodded, my lips tightly bound.

Our meals came agonisingly slowly and I ate with just as much patience, hoping that if I ate slow enough I wouldn't have to talk at all and he'd suddenly decide he was exhausted and we could leave. It was a shame really because I loved this restaurant, as overpriced as it is, and I felt as though I was spoiling the moment

"How's your Mum?" He asked, awkwardly, his knife and fork moving about the plate.

"I don't know I haven't spoken to her recently," Mum had moved in with Aunt Tilly 18 months ago. She said she didn't want to live in such a big house when it was just her, which was fair enough, but I also knew that it was because now that it was just her the memory of having dad around was worse. He'd left five years ago, I remember coming home one afternoon from school, my last year, and all his stuff was gone. I hadn't heard from him since.

"How's your dad? Is he out of hospital yet?"

"Yeah, they did some scans and he's fine. Just a fall at work and nothing major."

"That's good," I nodded. Silence fell between us once again as we finished our meals. I knew he was itching to talk more but what could I say? I'm sorry, I know you're about to spend a lot of money on a night out together but I think we should take a break?

I finished my meal and sat back, not overly full but not famished either.

"How was it?" Asked Isaac, nodding towards my plate.

"Delicious," I replied honestly. "Yours?"

"Great, I'd say I'd remake it but I'd never do as well," 

I smiled at his attempt at humour.

"Look, Alex I'm sorry. I really am, I know it frustrates you that I'm like this but... I just don't like people taking what's mine," he watched me seriously, his eyes unmoving from mine, trying to find the softness that they used to hold but coming off as harsh and cold now.

"I'm not yours you know that right? I don't belong to you, I'm with you by choice," I said with just as much seriousness which earned me a sigh of frustration.

"I know but in the sense of the word, you are mine and I am yours. We belong with each other, that's been made clear for five years,"

"Yeah and-" he cut me off again.

"We've grown up together, no one knows you like I do. I know what makes you angry and upset, I know how to cheer you up and I know how much you love to rant about little things that mean nothing to me but the world to you,"