Part 34: I Want Answers

Hey guys! Such a late chapter I know but I'm not even going to bother making excuses because we are living in such unpredictable times at the moment and where I am has recently entered stage 4 lockdowns so I've been very preoccupied. 

In saying that, how are you all? How is everyone coping with your current climate? 

We are currently in a second wave and it is incredibly difficult but I know it's for the best.

I do have a proposition for you all however: would you prefer that I publish a chapter as soon as it is finished or would you rather I published a stack of 2-5 chapters with a bigger wait? Please let me know because I really am trying to get them out in a good time and I know that they are taking longer so I will be working around your answers at the moment. 

Enjoy this chapter guys, let me know what you think! 

I thought having dinner with Isaac at the restaurant along the pier was the most awkward situation I would ever have to be in in my life. Turns out I'm not always right about everything.

The clanking of knives and forks against dinner plates was so loud I could feel it echoing through my chest. Combined with the fleeting glances Dan and I were shooting each other, I half expected Isaac to burst through the door and make us all even more uncomfortable.

"Taste's great, honey," beamed Alyssa over to Dan who winked at her.

"Oh it's nothing, all in the sauce really, isn't that right, Alex?" he lifted his glass and took a long drink whilst glaring at me, daring me to say something.

"Yeah," I muttered shortly, returning his glare before smiling over at Alyssa. Lys watched the two of us with a face full of confusion.

"Alright," she lay her utensils on the edges of her plate and brought her slim hands into a fist under her chin. "What's going on with you two, hm? This was meant to be a fun night, I was going to break the new tequila open... but you're both looking at each other like you want to choke one another,"

"Oh it's not like that, is it, Alex?" asked Dan, placing his glass on the table softly. "We're fine! Always been fine,"

I pursed my lips and cocked my head. I could tell her. What would happen if I did? We'd all be stuck in the secret. I know what it's like to be the only one who isn't in the loop, it sucks.

"Well, there have been times," I smiled sickly sweet at him and he continue glaring. "Lys, I need to talk to you,"

"But we're eating dinner," she looked at me like I had a turkey on my head and continued to slowly chew her food.

"We can come back," I stood and grabbed her arm.

"No you can't, it'll get cold and you can't reheat it," Dan stood glowering just as hard at me as I was at him and grabbed Alyssa's other arm.

"Why do you care, what's in it for you?" I pulled Lys towards me and her fork fell to the floor.

"Nothing is in it for me, I'm just not wanting to tell her just yet," Dan pulled Lys towards him.

"Tell me wha-" Lys squirmed under our hands, trying to break free from our grasp.

"Yeah, what do you not want to tell her?" I yanked Alyssa towards me again, pulling my lips into a hard straight line. There was a moments pause as I waited for him to be out with it. To tell Lys the truth. It was like a lightbulb popped above his head and he let go of Lys, returning to his food and calmly cutting a piece of his chicken.

"Dan?" Asked Alyssa after a few awkward moments. I stayed standing next to Alyssa, waiting for the triumphant moment.

"Well, I was going to wait for the opportune moment but now that's ruined..." started Dan, watching his food.