Part 16: We Were On A Break

So there was a major issue with my laptop and it now has to be fixed hence why there's been a bigger break between chapters this week. It should be fixed soon (I prefer to write on my laptop now) and I'll still try to post chapters in the meantime. If I don't, then I'll update however many chapters I was meant to have updated during the time of that makes sense.

Thanks guys, hope you enjoy!

"How was school?" I was in a cheerful mood for Lucy when I picked her up. Contrary to the mood I was putting on, I was feeling average but that didn't mean I had to make her feel it too. Stress is just as contagious as the common cold after all.

"Boring. Can I take a sick day tomorrow and just chill with you?" She begged as she tucked her legs up to her chest on the seat.

"Legs down and no you cannot because I have uni tomorrow as well as a job that I would like to keep,"

"Ugh, please? I won't tell Jeff," she whined, looking up at me with pleading eyes.

"Something tells me he'd find out even if You or I didn't tell him," I have her a small smile and she sighed. She knew there wasn't much I could do but something told me she never really got to do much of what she wanted. The fact that she has a nanny for a majority of her time told me that alone along with the fact that her life is strictly regimented. "I'll ask him but I'm not making any promises," I said quietly and I noticed she smiled but hid her face by looking out the window.

As soon as we got home I fixed Lu something to eat and told her I'd be back in a few so I could call Mr Standard.

"Alexis, what seems the issue?" He was too formal for me and it made me slightly uncomfortable. I heard the rustle of papers in the background and assumed he was in an office or work place of some kind.

"Hi Mr Standard, nothing's the matter I was just wondering if I could let Lucy have a day off school tomorrow?"

"Is she ill?" He asked.

"No,"

"Is there an issue with the school?"

"Well, no,"

"Is there any other reason she should not be attending her classes?"

"She's been working really hard and I think she might just need a break, you know, just a recuperation day? Something to let her relax and regroup so she can let go of some stress, I know she's trying her hardest and I don't want her to burn out..." I was internally begging that he would say yes and the longer the silence prolonged the higher my hopes grew.

"I shall get back to you before 7:30pm after I have spoken with my employers," he said, his tone a little clipped but softer than usual. I hoped he was warming to me and understood that, to me, this was no longer a job, it was a friendship and I really care about Lu and her wellbeing.

"Thank you, Mr Standard,"

"Call me Jeff," and he hung up. I was tempted to roll my eyes but stopped in replacement of a slight smile. Perhaps he did like me.

I skipped back into the living room but couldn't find Lu anywhere.

"Lu?" I called, my voice echoing a little around the room and carrying up the stairs.

"I'm up here!" Came her voice from the staircase. I took the stairs two at a time and reached her room quickly with a smile on my face.

"Standard said he'd get back to me tonight and I thought if you can have the day off we could go to the zoo or we could have a picnic, I dont know whatever you want to do, it is your day off after all,"