Part 20: Mental Note

Chapter chapter chapter!

You know the drill, love you all xx

Saturday was game day for Lucy and so when I woke her up in the morning, she flung herself out of bed and down the stairs babbling with determination to win today's match.

Dan had asked to come watch Lu play and so he was going to meet us there not long before the kick off. I sat on the same park bench - as always - away from the Country Club who were eyeing me off like a piece of meat. They wore stupid judgemental smiles as they snickered behind their Keep Cups with each glance they shot my way. It's not like they were suddenly going to like me, so I shot them all sweet smiles from where I was sitting and they stared gobsmacked as though I had the nerve to acknowledge their existence. 

It took Dan a little while to get to the soccer pitch and he arrived just before the kids were about to begin.

Dan used to be in the boys soccer team at school as well and so I didn't think it was odd that he would want to watch the kids play. He was captain just like me and so we always watched each other play when we had tournaments between other schools.

I waited for him, my jacket zipped up to my chin on this unusually cool day and tried not to feel too uncomfortable under the watchful eyes of the Country Club.

"Hey, sorry I'm late," came Dan's voice from behind as he climbed onto the park bench beside me.

"No worries," I replied, my voice muffled from my jacket.

"Who're that lot?" He asked as he tied his shoelace, jutting his chin towards the Country Club who were currently fish-gaping at Dan.

Yes, I know he's gorgeous, I thought, but he won't go for you hoebags in your polos and cashmere jumpers tied around your necks; he has way more respect than to date a married woman.

"Country Club," I sighed and he smirked at my remark. "Kids' parents who are members of the school presidential committee and think that I'm the scum of the earth,"

"How do you know that?" He asked, lifting his hand to send them a wave to which they turned away gossiping and giggling.

What the hell?  They're all in their forties and he's my age. Go away Kelly, continue sleeping with your yoga instructor or garden contractor.

"Amanda, the only nice one, told me," as though she'd heard me, she began making her way over to the two of us with a kind smile sitting comfortably on her face.

"Hey Amanda," I greeted as she came over.

"Hey Alex! You must be Isaac?" She asked, extending her hand towards Dan and he chuckled.

"No, I'm Dan, the best friend," he shook her hand and she apologised for her mistake. She told us a bit about what had happened that week. It was helpful being friendly with her, she gave me updates on Lucy's school like the new systems they were implementing and what extracurricular or free-dress days there were. She also made me feel welcome to the community and I was grateful for that.

"Who's that woman with the pink wellies? She's been staring without break at us for the past twenty minutes," asked Dan when Amanda had finished the update.

She turned to look over at the woman who clearly had no shame in being caught watching us.

"Oh, that's Agnes." Amanda turned back to us and leaned in, "bit of a mean spirit but sweet when she likes you, don't leave her with your kids though- she's got barely any control over her own," she whispered with a wink and I tapped my nose with my finger.