33. shortage

I kicked at a piece of burnt debris as I let out a defeated sigh. Our meat house had burned right down to the ground, destroying any food we had left. My eyes were trained on Bellamy and Clarke who stood not too far from where I was. The two were obviously discussing what was to be done about of food shortage.

I tore my gaze from them as I looked to Octavia who was kicking through the pile, holding a slight sense of hope that she could find something salvageable. "How did this happen?" I asked, surveying the damage once again.

Octavia stopped what she was doing and looked towards the other boy that had been in the meat house with her and Murphy, "He wouldn't stop feeding the fire and it got too big, the rest was history."

The kid noticed our stares and sent us a glare. I rolled my eyes as I turned away from him, "Some people really need to learn how to listen."

Octavia let out a small chuckle, "Ignorant teenage boys are going to be the end of us all."

---

"Each group takes a gun. Remember, they're for shooting Grounders not food! We don't have enough ammo, use the spears for hunting. Get what you can, be back before nightfall. No one stays out after dark." Bellamy's loud voice boomed over those of the others in the drop ship.

A mixture of fear and adreneline was surging through the small space as dozens of us geared up for a much needed hunting trip. There was not enough food to last us and the only way we could get more was through hunting, and so here we were ready to head out beyond the safety of our walls.

I zipped up my jacket as I began following the other kids out of the drop ship, deciding I would rather join a random group then be stuck with Bellamy the whole time. Unfortunately, I never get my way.

An felt myself internally groan as an hand wrapped around my arm, pulling me back into the drop ship, "You're with me."

I turned to look at Bellamy, giving him a questioning stare, "Oh, I was actually planning on going with Finn, y'know keep an eye on him and stuff."

Bellamy rose an eyebrow, "Finn already left with Clarke."

I cursed my stupid brother for ruining my lie of a story, "I was just going to catch up with him."

Bellamy smirked, "You really want to third-wheel him and Clarke?" Man, he was not making this easy.

I sighed, "Well Myles is with them so it wouldn't really be third, more of a double date." I joked.

Bellamy didn't laugh, instead he handed me a gun, "Are you done with the antics?"

I clenched my jaw as I stared at him, he stared back, each of us waiting for the other to break. "Fine," I breathed, letting him win, "I'll come with you."

Bellamy cracked a smile, "Good, I just need to stop at Raven's tent to get some more ammo."

"Okay," I sighed, throwing the strap of the gun over my shoulder, "I'll meet you at the front gate."

---

5 minutes later and I was still waiting by the gate. It surely didn't take this long to pop into Raven's tent and grab some bullets so where the hell was Bellamy. I was seconds away from turning and leaving in hopes of catching up with another group when he arrived by my side.