Caregiver | Part 2

You gawked at the unbelievable view of the mansion and the fact that you are going to spend the rest of your days as a caregiver in that place makes you gawk even longer. The taxi driver pull over right in front of the huge door where he looked back and snapped your thoughts away.

The mansion was highly secured behind those very tall wall fences surrounding the entire property. You managed to pass the security gate after you inform about your interview to the security officers.

With the decorative features of the mansion and the well trimmed bushes, well, the place seems like a whole paradise. It makes you wonder what would awaits you inside the house.

But still, that doesn't help to calm your nervous breakdown. And it showed when you hand out the money to pay the taxi driver. He noticed the bizarre trembling in your hand, and it made him laugh a bit.

"Miss, don't worry. You're going to be fine."

You nervously laugh along, still unsure and doubting yourself. "Yeah well, I don't know..."

"Of course you don't know because you haven't start yet. I tell you what, when you enter that mansion, just be yourself. Make sure they know that you are a hardworking and a great person."

Hearing the taxi driver motivates you before the interview session brings out the high spirited in you. Somehow the crazy nervous feeling you felt earlier slowly fading thanks to him. A middle aged man giving you the motivation that you need. Yet he's just a taxi driver.

You smiled, along with a single nod of determination.

So you thanked him for the ride and for the support. After the taxi gone from your sight, it is all on you now. And you're about to face whatever it is that awaits you inside that huge mansion.

Inside the mansion, a middle aged lady whom happens to be the maid ushered you to a room where you're about to sit for the interview. You kept wondering why wouldn't the owner of this place just let one of the maids to become the caregiver to their son instead. But the thoughts of getting interviewed makes you forget about the curiosity.

You finally reached a huge door, and patiently waiting outside as the maid went inside after she knocked. Then, few seconds later, she came back.

"Go ahead. Mrs Kim is waiting for you."

You took a deep breath, slowly exhaled to calm yourself down. At a nod to the maid with a 'thank you' for her help, you take your leave and set foot in the room. You made a slight noise that could notify the owner by knocking the door.

Finally you met the owner of this mansion, Mrs Kim, who's sitting on the sofa and keeping herself busy by checking the resumes with a not typical outfit of how the mother or a wife of wealthy man you expect them to be.

The Mrs Kim you saw is someone who's in her casual clothes as if it's a day off. Or maybe her duvet day is due today.

And it's too late for you to study her face expression and then trying to figure whether she's a strict woman or not when she lifts up her head at your direction.

You expect her to look down on you like every mothers always do, but, surprisingly she looked at you and smile as if you're her friend. You simply don't know what to do, so you follow your heart by remain standing on your ground.

"Ah, you're here! Please, have a seat."

You gulped, before you leave your spot and take a sit on the sofa opposite the sofa where Mrs Kim sat. You fix the hem of your long skirt and blouse as you wait for session to begin.

"So, you are... Lee Suyin, right?"

You nod, with a confident 'yes'.

"Based on your resume here, it's pretty clear how it says here that you're really good and, well-experienced in this kind of job? Although you actually have never be one?"

You gulped again, trying not to show how nervous you are in front of her. "Yes."

The woman gave you that look before she continues. "Can you elaborate on that?"

"Well, I take an example of my family. Every morning I prepare breakfast for everyone in the house before they go to work and even school. When everyone is not in house, or most of them, I cleaned my house. Sometimes I keep my niece company whenever my brother is out for work, make sure she never feels lonely and keep her entertained until her father comes home. I also in charge of preparing lunch and dinner for them."

You stopped there, inhaling and wait for further notice. While you were doing your storytelling just now, the woman in front of you didn't respond or even nod to every single words you said. But now, she sat there in silence, nodding like a bobblehead as if she's recapping your whole story in her head. While giving you a stare as well.

"About your niece that you mentioned earlier, how do you keep her entertained?"

Out of all interviews you have been going through, this one is a really hard to get. You realised that the way she interrogated you, this job demands intense concentration and dedication.

Again, with a slight confidence which enough to make you speak properly, you give her your answer. "During school break, when her dad isn't home, usually I bring her out to the nearby playground, or went to the amusement park by her dad's permission. But most of the time I prefer bringing her out for a walk. So that she will be able to meet her friend along the way, also helps in enhancing her learning process and buy her an ice cream if we're lucky enough. But of course I won't tell her dad about that part because he would flipped out if he knew."

You paused again, and noticed a little smile on the woman's face. Somehow it calms you down, as things slowly getting better and comfortable. But you couldn't help it but to laugh when a scene of your brother gets mad at you for spoiling his daughter like a regular mom played in your head. You didn't laughed at the way he mad at you though. You actually laughed at him because of his funny face when he's mad.

You were completely lost in your laughter until you finally be able to pull yourself together after you noticed that the sound of your laugh echoes through the hall. Means that you're the only one who laughs.

"Sorry."

You apologised, and the change of your expression was as quick as you apologise. And now you're mad at yourself for not behaving well, but the sweet smile on the woman's face leads you in a deep confusion.

"How charming." She mutters, "it's okay, dear. I am quite fond of how interesting your family is." And there's the normal tone.

Fond? Wait, did she'd just called me dear?– You thought, out loud.

"So, anyways, I cannot say that your daily life and the way you handle everything will be enough to make me believe that you're really good at caregiving." she spoke, and unexpectedly getting up from the sofa. You did the same, and merely following her path as she gestured you to come along with her.

You nearly out of your breath while trying to catch up with her since she walks way faster and vigorous than you.

But of course, you mesmerised the decorative features of the mansion along the way where you almost hit the stone pillar. Mrs Kim opens up the door, leads you to this beautiful garden you have never seen before in your entire life. You tried not show the obviousness in you, but it's look like you couldn't hold it back any longer.

The landscape garden wowed you with such breathtaking beauty in the surrounding. You can feel how weak you are after seeing all this. But you are still aware of the reality. You're not completely hypnotised by the beauty of the garden. Yet.

You steadily followed Mrs Kim from behind, tracing the pavement until you reach an odd building looking like a chalet. And the fact that it looks like a moderate house, you can't help it but wondering what and why she brought you there.

And seems like she knew what's on your mind by seeing your expression.

"If you ever wonder what kind of place is this, well, promised me you will accept this reality with an open heart."

She opens the door.

"This is where my son stays."