Chapter 5

Stood in the middle of the crowd is Cole, holding huge white pieces of card on them, almost like the confessional love scene from Love Actually, my favourite Christmas move. I brace myself, completely expecting to read a declaration that I have finally spoke to someone other than my brother. Instead, he looks at me and smiles when he notices me. I try to turn away but James and Max come behind me and block me from leaving, each with a hand on my shoulders, pushing me towards Cole until I find myself stood in front of him glaring. 

When I am close enough to read, he flips around the board and it reads absolutely nothing. The card is blank. Angrily, the crowd of nosey students disperse, cursing Cole in murmurs as they traipse away, "Is this some kind of joke?" Luke questions, his confused eyes meeting my equally as perplexed ones. Cole shakes his head, "I needed to get their attention to get yours. I wasn't going to leave you room to ignore me," He winks at me and I roll my eyes, clearly unimpressed. 

"I don't think you understand how good it is that you spoke to me and I know I could've handled everything better but I want to be friends. We're not your enemies, Lexi," He confesses and my heart warms. Almost, I fall back into his arms. Almost, I let my guard down. Then I remember how much I humiliated myself this weekend. I cannot face him. 

I shrug the boys' hands off my shoulders and shake my head whilst walking off, not sparing a glance backwards. I stride straight up to my locker and open it when a note comes flying out, it reads"Don't give up on him -James". As usual, his few words speak wonders.

***

When I arrive home, I trudge straight upstairs and see that my door is open ajar. I sneak in,  and see Luke sat on my bed, a serious look on his face, "Lexi, did you speak aloud to Cole?"

"It was an accident, I'm so sorry-"

"That's amazing, Lex! Why didn't you tell me?" He says, a hand on my forearm as I sit next to him on the bed,"I didn't know what your reaction would be," I shrug and he drops his hand, eyebrows furrowed, "You didn't think I'd be happy for you?" 

"No, I just didn't think you were a fan of Cole so I didn't want to fall out," I point out and he scoffs, "Why was he apologising at school?" He is frowning now, he knows something's up. 

I sigh, not wanting to explain but Luke is the one person I can always talk to, I owe it to him, "Well, he let me fall in McDonald's yesterday and orange juice poured all over me and all he did was laugh at me and it really upset me, so I got mad and I accidentally spoke. But the worst thing is, he dropped a towel for me after my shower into his bathroom, and he saw-"

"Scars?" I just nod "He didn't, did he?"

"Yes but I hid them quickly, he only got a glimpse."

"I'm sorry Lex, really," he pulls me into a hug. Automatically, I reciprocate, his embrace feeling warm and safe, like a haven to me, "That's not why I'm mad at him. I'm not mad at all, actually. I think I'm just trying to find excuses to avoid him."

"It's okay. It's not your fault, you've got your reasons," His hand raises to the back of my head in an attempt to comfort me before he pulls back from the hug, holding me at an arms length, Now, how about we go out for food?"

***

As we pull up to the restaurant, I take a deep breath and get out. I hate restaurants simply because Luke has to talk for me and they look at me like I'm a different breed to everyone else. I hate it, but I've got to endure it for Luke. He needs luxuries like this, he's a normal teenager. I want these luxuries too, I just wish I was confident enough to act upon them. 

We step into the restaurant, requesting for a table and we get seated by the window, which is our preferred area. The windows make the restaurant seem bigger and less inclosed which, somehow, helps with my anxiety.