Chapter 9

The sharp sudden knock sounds again and I flinch harder than the first time, grasping the knife in both hands as I slowly tiptoe to the front door. As I reach to unlock it, preparing myself for the fight ahead, it swings open in my face and knocks straight into my nose. I can taste the blood pouring from my nose as a large figure comes into sight and I start to shake, "P-please don't h-hurt me!" I shakily murmur whilst covering my face and bracing myself with tears rolling down my face as I hurry backwards, slipping down the wall into a crouch. 

His hand reaches out and I get brace myself for impact when I feel a soft tap on my shoulder and I open my eyes to face a worried Cole, "Lexi, what the fuck is going on?" I gasp and pull him into a hug and he pulls back after a while, "Why are you here?" I ask him.

"I felt bad leaving you after today, so I came back to see if you're okay. Clearly, you're not," He says, gently, lifting my head up to face him. I sit up slightly, feeling the blood rush from my nose and onto the floor, "Care to explain?" He asks. I shake my head and he frowns at me, his forehead creasing in the act, "Let's get you cleaned up," he says whilst pulling me up from the floor and leading me to my bathroom.

"I'm so sorry, Lexi. I didn't mean to hit you with the door," he said whilst slowly wiping away the blood, "It's fine, really," I reply quietly, assessing our current position which is not helping me to calm down. Cole is stood in between my legs with my arms around his shoulders. If someone were to walk in now, they'd have a terrible idea of what is going on.

After a few awkwardly silent moments, he steps back, "There, all cleared up," He smiles, triumphantly, slapping his hands down on my shoulders as I chuckle in response, "Thank you."

"Now, are you going to tell me what's going on?" He interrogates, leaving his hands on my shoulders so that he can look me in the eyes. I should tell him the truth, but I can't, it'll just put him in danger, too.

"I saw a spider on the floor and I'm petrified of them," I giggled, trying to feed him the lies, "And you were going to kill it with a knife? Why couldn't you have told me that before?" He says, an amused look on his face; he'd eaten the lie. 

"I was embarrassed. What idiot grabs a knife to kill a spider!" I say laughing and he joins in, too. I clamber off the counter and walk out of my room and into the kitchen to make some of my homemade pizza for Cole to have for dinner with me. We hadn't long eaten but all of this drama had made me hungry and Cole will never reject food. 

I felt a presence behind me and he chuckles, "I can't believe I hit you with a door. I've messed your nose up big time," I turn around and laugh with him, "Would I be making you homemade pizza if you'd messed up my face?" He smiles, "I love this girl's cooking, you know," He smirks.

I smile, "Oh yeah? And what's this girl's cooking like?" He winks, "It tastes delicious and I can't get enough of it," He flirts but I ignore it, "Really?" He nods, "Oh, yeah, I wish you could try it!" I laugh, "Well, I'm flattered," I smile, gently, looking to my feet. 

"Get cooking," He points to the dough on the counter and sits to the breakfast bar. As I add the toppings to the raw pizza base, I feel something hit my head. Then again. And again. And again. I turn around to see Cole smirking whilst throwing Honey Puffs - my favourite cereal - at my head, "Hey, they're my favourite!" I screech at him, he laughs and throws another one at me, hitting me in the nose.

In an attempt to leave the highly irritating situation, I turn around and cover my hands in tomato sauce, "Right, I'm going to wash my hands, give me a minute," I dash to the downstairs bathroom and I look at myself in the mirror and realise that I look like a mess. There is a bruise on the bridge of my nose, I have a double chin developing, my head is lopsided and I have spots all over my forehead.