Chapter 14

For a while, Cole and the twins helped me unpack and settle into my new bedroom for the next few days. We hung up my clothes, only to reveal that Cole had already bought me a few items that I am eternally grateful for. We also set up my toiletries and makeup in the bathroom and placed all my necessities into various draws and onto a few shelves before we put on a movie and all squashed onto my bed to watch it. 

However, now that the movie has finished, the twins leave to go and play video games in the living room, grumbling about being hungry so I decide to get up and make dinner for them. However, Cole grabs my hand and pulls me back onto the bed, "We should talk," He tells me and I furrow my eyebrows as I sit cross legged on the bed in front of him as he lounges against the headboard of the bed, "What's up?" I ask him and he fiddles with his hands, an act I've noticed he resorts to when he feels uncomfortable or nervous. 

"Lexi, I think we've established that we both have feelings for each other, right?" I nod at him, feeling my heart flutter at his words, "And I know that you don't trust me completely but I just want to give us a shot. It can be completely on your terms, I just want to see how we go with all this 'together' business. So, basically, I was just wondering if...umm...if maybe you'd consider giving us a go?" He asks, fumbling over his words, looking me dead in the eyes. 

I nod, chewing my bottom lip in anticipation, "That wasn't what I expected you to ask," I chuckle and he smiles, "but you never know until you try, right?" I beam at him, already feeling the blush spreading across my face as his smile broadens and he incases me in his arms. Slowly but surely, our lips make their way together and his warm arms wrap around me as I place my arms around his neck to deepen the kiss. More sparks fly, almost like a display on the Fourth of July, and I feel shivers running down my spine, confirming that this, right here, is right. 

Cole's PoV-

I look over to her cooking and swaying along with the music playing from the speakers and I can't help but smile goofily as she sends me an equally as crooked smile back and continues to stir whatever concoction she's made in the saucepan. After the showstopper of a kiss, we discussed her terms and we've settled upon trying this whole relationship saga but without moving too fast. 

Both myself and Lexi have lost a lot in the world and, whilst we don't have much else to lose, it has been agreed that we don't want to lose each other. Which is why a slow and steady relationship are our steps forward. However, for now, all I know is that I am the luckiest guy in the world and I have vowed to myself that I won't fuck it up again. I won't scare her away again. 

"Dinner, boys!" She shouts to the twins and I'm already at her side taking both of our plates into the living room and sitting down, her next to me. The twins come in and sit on the opposite sofa to us and we all curl up and eat the food Lexi has cooked. We all groan as we take our first bites. The pasta and sauce, along with a surprise scattering of bacon, melts in our mouths and we devour the whole lot. 

***

After dinner, the twins insisted on rebooting our traditional horror nights that I used to put on when they were younger. However, when business with the gang and school started heating up, I've barely had time to set aside for my brothers. I was conscious of Lexi, though. When they first suggested it, I hesitated because I wasn't sure on how she felt about horror movies but she was insistent that we carried on with what they wanted to do. Now, however, I am aware she was lying through her teeth. 

The twins left for bed a half hour ago but she told me to keep the movie going yet, curled up in my side, I notice that she keeps flinching, so I grab the remote and turn it off, "Why'd you do that?" She asks, pouting in secret relief. 

"Because I don't want you scared," I say, standing up and offering her a hand which she takes gracefully as I pull her up from the sofa. Hand in hand, we head towards her bedroom. It's pitch black outside and late into the night, or rather, early into the morning but I don't care because I have her. However, judging by the huge yawn she lets out as we reach the top of the stairs, it's time for bed, especially with her appointment in the morning.