Chapter 20

The whole school knows and the only person to blame is Tess. She is the only person I can accuse for making me feel so small, so broken and inferior to everybody that surrounds me just as I was beginning to feel secure again, "Cole, no," I whisper and grab his arm. He moves away and shakes his head in disappointment, "I can explain!" I whisper again and he walks away from me, head hanging low. 

I am reduced to tears as my heart breaks, the cracks that Cole had managed to butterfly stitch now tearing open in one swoop. Not wanting the student body to see me break down, I rush to the nearest girl's bathroom and curl up in the corner crying. Suddenly and much to my solemn dismay, the door swings open and a girl with long straight blonde hair, perfectly sculpted brows and big brown eyes steps in, her eyes skimming the room until they land on me. I brace myself for a barrage of abuse from her but, instead, she sees me and smiles sympathetically, "I saw the video, I'm so sorry," She says and I blink at her, staring in awe of this beautiful person stood in front of me extending a branch of compassion to a complete stranger, "I know you're mute so I'll do the talking. That man wasn't our age, who was it?" 

I type, "My dad"  her jaw drops open as she lets out a small gasp of surprise and utter disgust, "Really?" I nod, "He really kissed you like that? I mean dads kiss their daughters but not like that! And in an alleyway," I nod as she frowns at me, "Well, I don't agree with what Tess did. You and Cole were so tight and she just had to ruin it! She's just jealous," She rants and offers me a hand, I shakily take it and get up, "Stick with me, okay? We'll be great friends, if you want to?" And I nod once more, feeling hopeless and, for the first time, really wanting to speak aloud to someone. I could really use a friend right now, "My name is Jess, and you?"

"Lexi" She smiles widely, "Great! That's a lovely name, can I get your number?" I nod and type my number into her phone and she types hers into mine, "Are you the girl who Cole signed up for rounders? 'Cause I'm the captain." 

I nod with a small and reluctant smile, electric pain shooting down my spine as I remember the fond memories with Cole, and type, "I'm quite fast and Cole wanted me to get in with some people other than him, Max and James."

She nods in understanding, "Well, I've seen you in PE and you're in, on the team I mean, we need you," She says, excitedly, not even considering the consequences of not doing a trial. It seems like a pity vote, however, I'll do anything for friends at this point, "Really?" I squeal aloud, stepping hastily towards her before recoiling backwards as her jaw hits the floor and I raise a stunned hand to my mouth, "You spoke?" She asks and I nod, shrugging, "After my brother died I've been less cautious," And she nods.

"I heard that Luke died, I'm so sorry," she pulls me into a hug and I freeze, not knowing what to do besides ask, "Wanna ditch today?" she smiles cheekily and I chuckle at her as she holds me at arms length.  

"God, I thought you'd never ask!" She squeals and we creep out of the bathroom as first lesson has already started. We leap through the corridors and out of the doors we came through and rush towards Jess' car, "Quick, get in!" She whisper-yells and we jump in and she drives out of the car park.

"Where are we going?" I ask her, "To my house, my parents are out on a business trip for the week," She says and that's when she reminds me, "where do you live, Lexi?"

"With Cole as of recently," I respond glumly, "Oh. Well, you can sleep over at mine tonight if you want?" She asks but I shake my head, I need to try to get through to Cole, "No, it's okay, I should try to get through to him," I say and she nods, "If you need back up, don't hesitate to call or text me and I'll be there," She says and I nod, "Thank you."

We pull up at her house and climb out. Her house isn't anything big, it's semi-detached in a cul-de-sac, white walls and a long slanted drive. We get out of the car and walk down her drive and she searches her bag for her keys. She finally finds them and unlocks the door to her porch, we go in and there is a foot mat and a church bell with a rope to ring it with, hanging from the roof in front of her porch door in replacement of a doorbell, shoe racks next to it. I can already tell that they are an outgoing, creative family.