Chapter 24

For the rest of that week, Cole and I were inseparable, everyone noticed it. Tess was sticking up for me against her old minions who are still preceding to bully me. That did not remain unnoticed, either. It is now Friday, the day of the summer concert. Cole and the guys have no idea that I am performing, they think I'm helping backstage which took a lot of convincing because he didn't think I'd be interested so I told him I like tuning the instruments, which is a complete lie because I absolutely hate it.

The summer concert is an annual tradition at our school and possibly one of the only traditions I enjoy. Every year we gather on our field and set up a huge barbecue. Everyone brings their own blankets and even some food. Some students try to sneak alcohol and, whilst some get caught, the teachers try to ignore it where they can as they want to have a good time too. Usually I set up a small blanket at the back, away from everyone but close enough to feel included and I people watch with Luke beside me. However, this year two things are different: I don't have my brother and I'm part of the show. 

Cole was acting weird leading up to today. He said he had a surprise for me but I shake it off as the stage is being set up, the whole school filing onto the rounders field where the concert takes place. All of the acts start performing and I am second to last. Someone else, who didn't show up for the meeting before we set up, is after me and I'm curious to see who it is. I'm up next though, so I won't have long to wait.

"You ready?" Mr Walker asks me and I smile, nervously, "You'll be great, Lexi, you're a star!" He exclaims, encouragingly, and I smile before making my way to the left wing of the stage.

The girl dancing before me is now finished and they have called my name. I slowly walk out onto the stage with a microphone at hand and see Cole and the guys staring at me with astonished faces, they can't believe that I'm actually up here. Honestly? Neither can I. 

***

When I finish my song, everyone goes into fits of applause as I smile widely at everyone. Cole rushes onto the stage, picks me up and twirls me as we both laugh, not a care in the world. I walk off the stage and see that Cole hasn't followed me. I furrow my eyebrows at him before I realise that he's placing a guitar strap around his neck and I clamp a hand to my mouth and start to squeal from side stage. I blush and make my way to my friends. 

He sings 'Love You Like A Love Song' by Selena Gomez and my heart flutters, "He kept that well hidden," Max says, astonished, when he has finished. I turn my beetroot face towards Max and James, "You didn't even know he could sing?" I ask and they shake their heads, chuckling at me. 

I have a tap on my shoulder and I turn around and see Cole smiling at me, I jump on him and hug him. He holds my waist against him and my arms go around his neck as we both smile at each other, "You're amazing!" I exclaim as some music blares from the speakers and students begin to dance around, paying no attention to anyone around them, just having a great time. Cole laughs even more and kisses me on my nose.

When he puts me down he gets down on one knee and I clamp a hand around my mouth and on my heart. Secretly, I dread the fact that he could be proposing but I know that Cole wouldn't be so stupid so this must be something else. Luckily, we only have the attention of my friends and very few passers by, the rest of the student body is dispersing, "Alexis Anderson, I love you so much and I promise to never mess up again. I promise to love you forever, no matter what the outcome and to never leave you alone in the dark, cruel corners of this world. I love you more than anything and, as the song said, you saved my life," He opens a box and I see a promise ring. He asks me permission with his eyes and I nod, frantically. 

He slides it on my finger with ease as he stands up and kisses me gently on the lips then hugs me. It feels so good to be back in his embrace, it feels like his arms were made for me, his heart made for loving me and mine made for loving him.