Chapter 12

It has been exactly a week since I brought her in and she still hasn't woken up. In the moment, I didn't realise how severe the blows to her head were, but the doctors say that the trauma her head has received over the past month have caused implications that have resulted in a coma. However, they anticipate that she will wake sooner. One nurse even suggested that this coma is her body's way of escaping the pain her body is in, especially after they discovered her self harm wounds. 

Whilst I have not left her bedside, Max and James visit every day and the twins visit as often as possible, which is mostly every other day, as they have schoolwork to do. They tell me that I have a life that I need to get on with, at the very least, I have schoolwork to complete. However, this is completely my fault and I deserve to fail school which is more than I deserve. 

I hear a knock on the door and bolt upright, sitting stiffly, "Come in!" I say loudly, still holding Lexi's hand. Max and James enter with a coffee each and a baguette, "We didn't get you anything, we weren't sure on how you were feeling, sorry," Max says, his eyes tearing up ever so slightly when he takes in Lexi. He thinks the world of her and, every time he sees her like this, he gets emotional. I can't help but feel responsible for his pain, too. 

"It's fine, don't worry," I say to them, "You should really get some food. Lexi wouldn't want you to be doing this to yourself," James says, placing a hand on my shoulder as he smiles softly at Lexi, silently willing her to wake up. I nod and stand up, stretching as I straighten out, "Take care of her," They both nod, watching me shut the door on the way out.

I walk to the hospital canteen and order myself some food and coffee from the limited and completely unappetising selection available. They instruct me to sit at a table and wait, so I oblige, finding a table for two placed far away from everyone else. My peace lasts for a mere minute before the chair in front of me scrapes on the floor and a blonde girl sits in front of me, leaning forward onto the table so that her low cut top flashes her cleavage in my face, so I grimace in response.

Just as she opens her mouth to speak my food comes and I dig in, ignoring the girl in front of me, "Ahem," She clears her throat. I just look up at her from under my heavy eyelids, raising an eyebrow at her before continuing to eat. She huffs in irritation and taps me on the shoulder with her false, manicured nails. I sigh and look up at her, "What do you want?" I ask and she simply sighs, her eyes skimming over my chest and arms, "What's a hottie like you doing by yourself?" She says, seduction dripping from every word.

"Waiting for my girl to wake up," I state, emphasising the 'my girl' part of the sentence, even though she is far from that, "What happened to her?" She asks, faking her care for Lexi to which I roll my eyes, "None of your business," She raises her eyebrows, "Want me to help you take your mind off it?" She bites her bottom lip and I grimace, screwing up my nose in disgust, "No, thanks," She gasps falsely, "Why do I waste my time on jerks like you?" before strutting away. I laugh inwardly and finish my food.

When I've finished, I thank the staff and walk back up to Lexi's room. I open the door to find both of the boys stood next to her, grasping a hand each. I smile at them both, "Thanks, guys, I'll sort this out for you both."

They nod and smile, "We best get going now, we'll leave you and Lexi to it," I nod and see them out before turning back to Lexi and sitting with her, holding her hand once more.

Lexi PoV-

I feel a sudden pain shoot up my midriff and sides as I try to open my eyes but I can't. I feel like I'm falling, falling down a black hole and everything that makes me want to live is slowly seeping from my grasp. I think of James and how he is so protective of me and how he went to the trouble of protecting me from his best friend. I fall further. I think of Max and how he instantly welcomed me, his childish behaviour and loving personality. I fall further. I think of Luke and how he needs me and wants me in his life, how he tried to take all the hits from my dad for me. I fall further. Caiden and Callum, how they always stick up for me against Cole, how they both have that cheeky smile that lights up a room. I fall further. Cole, how he made me talk and feel happy until that ended after I had finally realised how important life is, it's a shame it turned this way. I fall further.

"Lexi, please."

That voice enables my consciousness to take over and I realise it's Cole, "Please, I never meant for this to happen."

I try to open my eyes but fail, "I didn't want to agree to the dare but I thought you'd understand why I did and we could have a happy relationship without Tess and now look at you. I miss you and I never meant to be the cause of your pain but it kills me that I am. I was supposed to protect you," He chuckles bitterly, "but I failed miserably." 

He pauses for a moment and I fight for my right to reply to him, to tell him that I hate him for what he's done to me but I understand why he did it, "I want you, I've always wanted you, ever since we were in the fourth grade show together. You don't remember but I got nervous and you helped me. I've always liked you since then, although I can understand why you didn't remember; I was a tiny blonde idiot." 

Once again, he pauses as I take in this revelation. That timid boy from fourth grade was Cole? How could I not remember? I can almost see him picking at his jeans with his spare hand, gnawing at his bottom lip as he deliberates over his next words, "You know, I think my feelings have changed. I think I love you, Lexi, and I want to tell you so please come back to me. I love you," His voice cracks at the end and I expect to hear him begin to cry but he never does. Cole Stone doesn't cry, not unless it's necessary. 

His grip on my hand tightens, "Squeeze my hand if you can hear me," He waits for me to follow his instructions. I try but the pain shoots up like a million fireballs in my veins. 

You can do this, Lexi, I tell myself, Do it for Cole, James, Max, Luke. Do it for your love for Cole, show him you feel the same way.

All of the memories of us play in my mind such as when I held his hand on stage in fourth grade. When I first saw him sit next to me in maths. When we spoke in the corridor. When we kissed. When I first spoke to him. When he first heard me laugh. When I told him my life story, how protective he is. When he found out about my Pneumonia. When we cried, laughed and shared everything with each other. I squeeze his hands firmly, again and again, making it clear that I am here and awake.

"Nurse! She squeezed my hand!" I hear his happy voice and I burst into consciousness and open my eyes. Pressure and pain hits me all at once, landing heavily on my chest as I resurface from the bottom of the lake I have been hiding beneath. The nurse and doctors rush in and give me my tablets, medicine and oxygen. Cole holds my hand the whole time and smiles down at me.

"What a recovery, Alexis. You will need to stay for the weekend so we can monitor you but I have a good feeling that you will be discharged on Monday," I nod and smile happily as the doctor gently pats my shoulder, the one part of my body that does not feel like it has been set on fire. The nurses and doctors leave the room, leaving us alone. Cole and I stare at each other until he claims my lips with his and we kiss until I pull away from him.

"I need to tell everyone that you're awake," He rushes out on his phone. I'm happy that I'm awake, that I didn't give in to the darkness surrounding me, that I didn't submit to the pain that Tess caused. I look to my right and see lots of cards and presents with a few balloons and I smile as I realise these are from my fellow classmates, as well as my friends.

I've got a feeling life is going to go uphill.

———————————————————————

Wow! What a turn. But will lexi's life get better...dunno!!!

I thought I better make it less depressing so here you go...

Love you all xoxo