Chapter 31

We won! I can't believe we won! I turn to the audience after my group hug with the team and I see Cole, Max, James, Charlie, Tess, Caiden, Callum and Ryder running towards me. Ryder bounces around on Caiden's hip (he will make a good father some day) and they are smiling and squealing like children who haven't seen sugar for a century.

I am tackled by Max and James first and they shower me with hugs until they are ripped off of me by the twins and Ryder. Ryder hugs my legs, "Well done, mommy!" He squeals and everyone around us coos. I blush and kiss him on the cheek when I bend down to his height.

"We'll go to the diner tonight to celebrate, yeah?" I ask him and he nods in delight and runs into Cole's open arms. The twins congratulate and hug me and I can't help but smile as I see Tess and Charlie hold hands.

Tess walks up to me and gives me a quick hug and says well done; she knows how much Charlie is dying to see me. I am pulled into Charlie's chest and he picks me up and spins me around like he used to do when we were little. I throw my head back and laugh gleefully until he puts me down and pulls me into another hug, "Well done, Lex!" He says and I smile, thanking him before I go back to coach and the team, thankful to have such supportive friends and family around me. 

As I take the few steps towards me team, I feel a coat of warmth wrap around my heart and I just know that Luke and my mum are with me, "That was for you guys," I whisper to myself as I reach the team. Once Coach begins to speak, the warmth disappears but I'm no longer sad like I used to be because I realise that they're still there with me somewhere, watching me on the big screen. 

"Well done, girls! We'll be sad to see you leave for college but let's hope that the new team is as amazing as you lot!" Coach Smith says and we go in for a group hug.

"Ahem," A lady coughs from behind coach, she smiles as we look at her, "I'm here to offer the scholarships," She says and we all look at each other nervously. Coach Smith nods and goes behind the lady, "Okay, we only have four to offer because they really stood out and we're terribly sorry to those we can't offer a scholarship to." We all nod and smile nervously.

"Jess, Gina, Emelia and Lexi, we would like to offer you a place at Duke University," She says hopefully and all of us start squealing. This is a private college with a high graduation rate and an even lower acceptance rate! We know that the others are disappointed but we knew only a few of us would get the opportunity and we all have other plans too. I'll have to weigh my options carefully but, for now, I can't believe I did it!

She hands us the papers and we will have to fill out the sheets to accept after reading the fine print and agreeing to the terms of our scholarships. This could be really good for the family since I will get a financial grant or even a full ride, depending on the terms of my scholarship but, equally, that can't be the only deciding factor. 

I turn to Cole and the guys and they are all smiling widely, "You know," Bella says from behind me, "it would make us who didn't get scholarships feel better if we were to get a cute moment from you guys," I groan and she winks and nudges me. All the other girls begin to laugh, egging us on and I roll my eyes. They've been the biggest fans of Cole and I for the past few months and we personally find it hilarious. 

"Really?" Cole smirks and the team all squeal in agreement. Cole leans forwards and tries to place his lips to mine. Key word: tries. His lips almost meet mine and so I stick my tongue out and he kisses my tongue and makes a noise of disgust as I lick his nose.

"What the-" Cole exclaims, "Lexi!" He yells and I run behind James, who puts his hands up in surrender, "You're on your own, kid," He says and chuckles lowly before he moves and I scream as Cole tackles me to the floor. He tickles me and I scream for him to stop, the girls doubled over laughing at us.