Chapter 11

For what seems like longer than a few hours, I remain curled into a tight ball on my bed, alternating between crying and tossing pillows in rage across my bedroom, not even the thought of the view beyond my bedroom window appeals to me. I had expected the numbness to settle in by now, it usually does, but I cannot stop wondering how he could do this to me, what I did wrong to deserve this. I hear a knock on the wall next to my door since I can no longer shut it after Cole broke the lock, "Lex?"

"What, Luke?" I demand as he enters my bedroom, I roll across my side to face the opposite way, "I heard it all. I've tried to give you some space but you need to let me help you."

"The only thing I need you to do is get some money out of my purse and buy a new front door to be fitted right away. I don't give a damn about my door," I recite, monotonously, "Lexi, he's hurt you, stop being stubborn and accept some help!"

"Fine, I'll get the stupid door myself," I snap, bolting up right and grabbing my purse, throwing some shoes on and stomping out of the doorway to catch a bus to the shops a few blocks away, ignoring Luke's attempts to rationalise my thinking. 

Once I arrive at the store I was searching for, it takes me only a matter of minutes to find a replica of our front door. I get them to cut two keys to the new lock for Luke and I, feeling a slight sense of relief knowing that my father will not have a key to the new door. Then, once I confirm the door fitting with the store owner, I head straight home, conscious of the end of the school day approaching, especially considering I want to avoid everybody for a while.

"Luke!" I call from the kitchen as I pour us both some water and sit at the breakfast bar. He bounds down the stairs and sits at the breakfast table, waiting for me to elaborate, "The door is being fitted later, here's your new key," I slide the key across to him and he deadpans me, swiping it off the counter and putting it in his pocket. I suppose he thought I was going to explain the fiasco with Cole, or maybe he found out about our father being released, or maybe he wants to know where Claire is. There's so many questions that need to be answered, yet I have no drive to find the answers, "Lexi, tell me what happened. " 

I sigh and sit next to him. He turns his chair ever so slightly to face me, waiting expectedly, "it was all a dare, the whole thing. You should know that we weren't and aren't dating," I say, sadly, hacking away at my cuticles as I tug on my sleeves in an attempt to hide the bandages, "Max and James, too?" I shake my head, "No, James told me about the dare because he thinks Cole took it too far." 

He nods, "I can't believe we trusted Cole. I should've known, Lex, I'm so sorry," I am about t reprimand him for apologising, for attempting to take the blame when reality dawns on me, "Cole knows everything." 

Luke looks alarmed for about a second but then masks it over with a blasé expression, almost in an attempt to hide the fact that this could be extremely bad for the both of us, "Does he have any proof?" I shake my head, "Except his word against mine, who's going to believe me over him?" 

Luke laughs, "Who's going to believe him over me?" I shoot him a confused look as he strides away from the kitchen. He's only trying to be a good brother to me but he should know that he'll never do anything to hurt anyone, that's always been my favourite trait of his; he can protect without violence. Instead, I trudge back up to my room and slide into my favourite pyjamas, settling for the company of Netflix for the night, regarding it as better than nothing. 

***

Usually I am perfectly willing to participate in life's miserable events on a Friday, especially considering the weekend ahead of me which is mostly used to relax, unwind and, often, work. However, the last day of the week is more bitter than sweet today and I am not looking forward to facing it. Luke suggested that I take the day off, that I don't have to deal with it. However, I am not a coward and, truthfully, I'd rather get this over with sooner rather than later. I will not fall apart because of the lack of male (Cole) presence in my life.