Chapter 41

Cole's POV-

"You want to see Ryder?" I ask, shocked that this woman has the courage to show up in that little boy's life after abandoning him and leaving his with us, "Yes. That's what I want, please. I know I left him but I regret it. I want him back," She pleads with me and I scoff, "Please, you abandoned him and you're no longer welcome in this little boy's life! I don't mean to be rude but why now?" I ask her abruptly because the sooner I find out, the sooner I can get rid of her. 

"I saw everything at Adrian's house, he was a good friend of mine. I live over the road from him, I heard the commotion. I realised that you were who has Ryder and he got kidnapped, Cole! You're just an irresponsible teenager who has no idea what you're doing with him. He'd have a much better life with me being his guardian, let's face it, Cole," She tells me and I grow extremely angry. 

I step outside and she stumbles backwards away from me in shock and I slam the front door shut behind me. When I get outside, I realise that she has a lady stood next to her. She is wearing a black pantsuit with a briefcase and I already know what this means. She told on us and the court want to take Ryder away. 

"Look. I don't want you to think that I'm just telling you a sob story right now because I'm not. I'm telling you the truth. You should really just back off. I get you want Ryder back but Lexi's now in hospital after trying to protect our son," white lie, "and if you think that we aren't good and worthy parents, you're wrong. You left him and we took him in when Liam passed away so, if I'm completely honest, you aren't one to talk. If I were you I'd just give up now," I tell her in a rush and she gasps. 

"I don't care that Lexi is in hospital, she'll just have to deal with it. Why don't we let Ryder choose?" She sneers at me and my anger raises by one million per cent, "You can't make a three year old choose who he wants to be his mother!" I hiss at her and she steps towards me. 

"Yes, I can and I will. Let's bring him downstairs and let him choose," She demands and I roll my eyes, "I'm not going to let you do that to him. It's not fair on him!" I shout at her and she looks at me unfazed, "Fine. I'll take you to court." She states bluntly and my breath gets caught in my throat, "Why would you do that? It's already been decided in the eyes of the law that Lexi and I are the rightful guardians of Ryder, there's nothing you can do about that," I tell her and she rolls her eyes at me, her representative stepping forwards towards me. 

"She can do something about that actually, we have the contract right here and there is a slight clause that you did not read and that is why she have the right to do this," She says smartly and whips out a piece of paper from her briefcase. Snatching it off her I read through the whole contract, it is her copy and it is an exact replica, Lexi and my signatures are on there but one part catches my eye. 

'In the case of the biological parents wanting to obtain care of the child within the age of their infant years to legal adulthood, they shall have the right to take back the child in the eyes of the law. By signing respective papers between the adoptive parents, the biological parents and the adopting centre, the child is rightfully and respectfully in the biological parents' custody.'

I shake my head and usher them both into the house. Rushing to a drawer in the cabinet of our hallway, I pull out Ryder's adoption papers and, indeed, that scrawl is not on our copy, "That's fake. It isn't on our copy of the contract," I accuse and she scoffs, "Who're they going to believe, Cole? The damsel in distress who got hit by her son's adoptive father for merely asking to see him? Or the son's adoptive father with no proof of not hitting me and no alibi as to where he was earlier on today? Ready to hand over my son?" She scowls and I look to her representative with sad eyes, "The contract may be false but they will always take the side of my sister. She is his mother. The family courts always take the side of the mother," She states and my blood boils, almost evaporating. This woman is faking a contract to help her sister break the law?