Chapter 15

Contains sexual violence, read at own risk.

"Lexi!"

Five more minutes, Luke, I groan, burying my head further into my pillow or, at least, I think I do, "Lexi!"

Leave me alone!

"Alexis, wake up, right now!"

I shoot out of bed, "I'm up! I'm up!" only to be met with an amused Cole stood in front of me laughing, "You need to hurry up, thirty minutes until school starts," I nod and jump into action. After washing, I choose a baby pink hoodie with some black leggings; knowing that Cole bought them makes them even more comfortable. I slide them on, hissing at the pain in my side but shake it off and continue to get ready.

***

Cole speeds towards school which is evident by the fact that we actually make it into school on time. Usually, he would've just given up and pulled himself out of school for the day. In fact, it would've only taken him being a mere few seconds after the first bell for him to announce it as a ditch day. However, he tries his hardest today as he knows that I don't like skiving from school. 

We step through the double doors into the school just as the last few people are dispersing from the halls to their classrooms and so we rush to maths and, fortunately for us, we make it on time and take our seats. Max greets us with a sigh of relief, "I thought you'd both taken the day off without telling me," He moans at us, sinking back into his seat, relaxing his tense muscles. I understand his fear, math class is excruciating without any friends to keep you company; I should know. 

I quickly apologise with a small smile before pulling my books out of my bag and smack them down on the desk. Without asking, I rip out two pages from my notebook and hand them to Cole with a pen, knowing he won't be equipped with what he needs to actually learn. With a gentle smile, he takes them off me, his hand lingering for just enough time for Max to notice, "Are you two finally together?" He questions, leaning on the edge of his seat as he awaits an answer, "Keep your mouth shut, we don't want people to know," Cole confirms and Max beams at us, nodding with an understanding. 

***

Biology sucks: the seats are uncomfortable, the topics are disgusting, my teacher bores me more than a documentary on a piece of cardboard, none of my friends are with me and, to top it off, Tess is a bitch. My teacher strolls in, ignoring the fact that he is five minutes late to the lesson, "Alright, today we are dissecting a frog. You should know how to do this as we have tested you on dissecting before."

He presents us all with a dead frog and all the appliances we will need. Last time we did dissect something, my guts couldn't take it and I threw up straight away. It was the combination of the smell and the squelching sound of the scalpel piercing the frogs' flesh that sent me overboard. However, unfortunately for me, Tess got some amazing pictures and posted them all over the internet and created the hashtag '#FroggyGirl' and I still haven't lived this down to this day.

When I am presented with mine the whole class stares at me in anticipation as I gulp and I notice a few people get their phones out onto their desks ready to capture any embarrassing scenes. I simply scowl before continuing with what I am doing. People these days can't mind their own business. Instead, I grab the scalpel and cut through the centre of the frog's stomach to reveal all of the guts and stomach, a disgustingly putrid smell invading my nostrils. My stomach clenches and I can feel the bile reaching my throat whilst the stringy under-skin of the frog disperses itself all over my hands. 

I stalk to the front of the classroom and snatch away a towel to wipe my hands before taking a deep breath and continuing to dig away at the lacy, stringy substance around the organs so I can take them out and that's what gets me. I wretch and the whole class looks at me with hopeful eyes. However, I shrug and carry on, pretending to be blasé about the entire experience. It comforts me to see a few other people around me struggling with the sights and scents and, much to my delight, one of Tess' friends left the classroom before she even uncovered the frog.