Chapter 6

Cole's POV-

For a week, I avoided school. For a week, I avoided her and, as I step onto the porch of her cute, little house, my heart starts to beat faster and faster and I remind myself as to why I didn't make it to her front door last week. Instead of retreating like a puppy, my tail between my legs, I knock, three sturdy knocks, alluding to confidence that I am definitely not feeling. The door swings open to reveal an exhausted Luke's face. 

"Oh, Cole," he murmurs whilst rubbing his eyes, I think he's just woken up, "Yeah, I was expecting that reaction," I say shakily, "No, I'm glad you're here, actually. Lexi has been a mess ever since last week. After what you said about the scars and everything, she's been scared out of her mind and I can't stand having her sleep in my room with me. She wakes up screaming that they're going to get her and, whilst I'm so going to pull you about what you said to my sister, I can wait until you sort her out because I can't deal with this anymore," He groans to me, his voice raised by the end.

"I didn't mean what I said and I didn't know I'd cause that much damage, if I'm honest."

"It's not fine but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Come in and go right upstairs to my sister," He steps to the side to let me through the doorway. Calmly, I climb the stairs. Hopefully, if I have a calm response, so will Lexi. 

I knock on her door and I hear her shaky voice say, "I hope you have my nutella, Luke!" and I walk in and she gasps, quickly hiding under her covers. This is when I realise she is in a sports bra and some shorts, showing off all her scars. I take in her image and I feel my jaw clench and fists tighten at my sides. 

Lexi's POV-

I hear a faint knock on my door and I assume it's Luke, "I hope you have my nutella, Luke!" The door creeps open slowly and I see it's not Luke. I frantically scramble to hide under my covers. Before I remember the horrible things he said about my scars and stop my movements. If he thinks he knows all about them, he can suffer at the sight. I slowly take off my covers and get out of my bed, "What are you doing here, Cole?" I demand.

"Lexi..." He furrows his eyebrows and looks away. However, like anybody would, he can't keep help but look me up and down, taking in the sight, "No, Cole. You're the one who thinks you know so much about my scars so you can suffer at the sight of me. You don't even know who did it!"

"Who did it?" He says, tears threatening to fall until he sucks them back in, "I'm so ugly that you cry at the sight of me," I mumble, fumbling to grab a dressing gown and throw it on.

"No," He stops me from putting on the gown but I smack his hands away, "Everything I said in that car park was a lie. You didn't deserve any of this, Lexi, and I'm a dick for saying those things to you," He rants at me, taking a step closer every time so we are now inches apart.

"You hurt me," I mumble, looking at my feet, ignoring the goosebumps that rise from our proximity, "I can't say it anymore, Lexi. I've apologised in so many ways and I've run out of ideas so, please, don't push us away," He begins to get frustrated. 

"I want to forgive you but what you said was inexcusable. You don't even know what happened to me. You had no right to intrude on my past, let me trust you and speak to you and then ruin it."

"The fact that you spoke to me must mean something," He interrupts, being very optimistic may I add. "It was an accident, Cole! How do I know I can trust you?"

"Would I have apologised so much if you couldn't trust me?" He says and stares me dead in the eyes and I sigh, "Fine. As long as you promise never to push it that far again." People don't make so much effort to apologise to people they don't care about, surely. "I promise, Lexi," He says with a grin on his face, "I forgive you."