Chapter 21

I wake up in my old room. I feel like I'm living in a nightmare, waking up in this old room makes all the horrific feelings rise to the surface of my corrupted mind but then I remember that my father is dead. So is Luke. Cole is gone. Max is gone. James is gone. Everyone besides Jess is gone.

I go to my wardrobe where I left all my old clothes, marginally surprised to see that someone hasn't entered the property and stolen from us but I suppose Charlie and his family have kept an eye out. I fish out my favourite black hoodie and tatty black leggings and put on my scruffy black vans. I grab my bag and drag myself out of the house, not bothering to eat or drink anything. Never in all of my life would I have imagined that staying in that house would be better than going to school. It is unsafe in that house, no locked doors, no safe windows. It isn't safe to live in alone but I'll figure something out. 

I trudge to school, texting Jess to meet me at the front of the school before class and head through the gates to where I am meeting her. Watching on as life goes by, I think about how worthless it is at the moment, until a familiar sports car pulls up and Cole gets out, followed by Max and James and they stride past me like I am the infulenza, not sparing me one glance. 

My heart breaks, I was hoping that Cole would run up to me and wrap me in his safe arms, Max would waddle up to me with outstretched arms and James would give me his awkward but caring smile, all like nothing had happened but obviously my wish had fallen upon deaf ears.

Shortly after, Jess pulls up and gets out of her car looking perfect in some light blue ripped jeans with a black, Bardot top and her hair bouncing with curls as she gives me a show-stopping smile, "Hey!" She says, excitedly, "Hey!" I say back and she pulls me into a hug so I hug her back. 

After a few moments, we pull away and she beams at me, standing on her toes, excited to tell me something, "Okay, so, at lunch I'm going to introduce you to the team as we have practice after school every Friday. Bad times I know but it's the best we could get because no one wanted to practice during lunchtimes," She says and I suddenly feel nervous.

"What happens if they don't like me after what happened with Cole?" I ask, "They'll like you, trust me, none of them like Tess and they all agree that you're amazing, they'll definitely like you," She says as we turn into our first lesson. 

***

Jess hasn't stopped blabbering about meeting the team at lunch but I go along with it. I admitted to wanting new friends on our way to the lesson before lunch, "I'm really trying to make some new friends, get into the right crowd," I say, hopefully, "Totally, and you will, our team is so close," She says before our teacher strides in, closely followed by Cole. I sit down with him beside me as Jess looks at me, giving me a pitiful look.

However, after five, long minutes of sitting next to Cole I raise my hand, "Sir, can I move seats, please?" I ask and he is shocked I spoke for once.

"No, Lexi. What's so bad about Cole anyway? He doesn't bite," He says and I groan as he denies my request, "I have a long list, trust me," I mumble under my breath. Cole's head snaps to mine, "I'm not the one who cheated," He murmurs, that does it. 

Suddenly, my heart races and my stomach churns and I try to surpress the heat rising but it overflows like an active volcano. I slam my hands off the desk, not caring that the whole class is now staring at us, "I didn't cheat on you! I told you who it was, your brother even believes me after watching the video again! You chose not to believe me and it's not my fault we're over!" I shout at him and everyone starts to whisper.

"Well, I don't believe you because look at you, you're a mess!" He gestures to my whole body and I shrink back. My subcoscious screams at me, why should I feel less of a person because of something he has to say?