Chapter 37

This chapter may be triggering to some so read at your own risk.

Lexi's POV-

I look over to see Cole looking at Henry confused and flustered. He looks over at me and immediately looks away, what is up with him? I look to Max and James and see they are having some sort of silent conversation with Cole. James gestures with his head to come over and Cole nods an affirmative, "We know who we're after," Cole orders and everyone's heads snap towards him and follow his command. 

Once everyone is seated and Cole is ready to talk, we all quieten down to a deafening silence. I look to Cole and see he is looking slightly hesitant which doesn't help how I feel at the moment. I grab onto Max and James' hands as I am sat between them, they both squeeze my hand in encouragement, willing me to swallow my nerves. 

"Henry and I know who we're looking for," Cole announces and everyone roars into a conversation, talking over each other and I start to panic. Cole looks to me and smiles sympathetically, "Right, everyone, shut up!" he roars and everyone goes silent and return their full attention back to Cole. Cole places his hands and elbows onto the table in front of him and starts to twiddle his thumbs, "Gina Adams."

Gina Adams? She can't be the person we are after, she's one of my closest friends, she'd never hurt me this way, let alone be associated with my pathetic excuse of a father. There must be some mistake; Gina has always been so sweet! She comforted me when I was down and always there to laugh with me when I was on a high. She is one of the nicest people I've ever met, loyal, welcoming and, most importantly, warm-hearted. She'd never do anything to hurt anyone intentionally, she couldn't hurt a fly.

"What about Gina?" I ask Cole in the hope that he was just mentioning her for the fun of it. but I think we all know my attempt is to no avail; Cole takes his work very seriously. "She's who we're after," Cole explains and searches for my reactiom, "B-but..there must be some mistake..I mean-"

"I'm so sorry, Lexi. Henry's very much certain on his results. We've checked the results over and over, she's the only other person's fingerprints on the notes, apart from Caiden and Callum's, but that's because their blood is mixed on it," Cole abbreviates for me, "She must've been the culprit for the video, too."

"No," I shake my head, standing up, "I refuse to believe you. Gina's the kindest, most sweetest girl that I know,"  I exclaim and wave my arms around, "Lexi..." James warns with a hand on my shoulder but I shake him off and he sits back down, "Lexi, sit down, we need to talk about all of this. We can prove it, I'd never lie to you," Cole pleads and I nod, slowly sitting down. As soon as I sit back down, Max wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Well, prove it, I'm listening," I demand, feeling slightly bitter towards all of them for trying to blame Gina.

Henry gets up and goes over to his computer, "You see, Lexi, I've placed these notes under an ultraviolet light that is given off by my computer. Then I put the powder that police use in normal fingerprint testing and packed it over the top and dusted it off which gave us our fingerprint. It turns out that the fingerprints are very familiar to us. So, I checked the files and they're extremely similar to Kyle Adams, an extremely rich criminal that buys himself out of every trial and we happen to know that he also pays the press and legal companies not to release anything about him. He cares a lot about his family and doesn't want the bad reputation, especially for his daughter, Gina," Henry explains to me.

"That doesn't prove how Gina's the one who we're after!" I slam my hands on the table, seething with anger and Cole shakes his head, "Ignore the technical stuff and think about it. Why did Gina never let you go to her house, yet the rest of the girls have been? Because her parents would be there and who, of all people, would know about her father? Me," He points out and I shrug, "That still doesn't prove anything and neither do the fingerprints."