Chapter 32

Cole and I arrive at the diner and, as we step through the glass slider doors, an eager waitress around our age greets us with a huge smile to which I reciprocate, "Hi, welcome to OK! Table for two?" She greets us, grabbing two menus and I shake my head, "We're actually joining our friends over there, if that's okay?" I inform her and she places the menus back down with a smile, "Of course, just this way!" She leads the way to the table which, although unnecessary, made us feel very welcome. 

The waitress glides back over with a pen and notebook, her perky attitude still in tact and I wonder whether this is truly her persona or whether the staff here are required to be sickly sweet, "Can I get you anything?" She asks and I look to Jess and she shrugs, mouthing that they waited for us which was very nice of them but makes me feel bad for making them wait so long whilst we were fooling around, "Cole?" I ask and he smiles at me, his eyes still ravenous from earlier as he looks at me.

"I'll have a double cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate milkshake, please," He says and the girl nods and writes down the order and continue to take everyone else's orders. 

Once she has finished, she strides away with a slight bounce in her step as her ponytail swooshes behind her. Cole's hand slides onto my thigh, resting dangerously close as I suck in a breath, reliving the wonderful moment we shared earlier, "What?" I ask as I rest my head on Cole's shoulder, Max's eyes still boring holes into my head as he detects tension from across the table. 

We enjoy the rest of our meals and, when the waiter comes to collect our dessert plates, I see Ryder's eyes drooping as he starts to yawn, "Tired, Ry?" I ask him and he looks up to me, lazily, and nods, "Can we go home?" He asks and yawns again. Now what child asks for bed? My son, that's who.

"Sure, bud," I say and Cole lets me out of the booth. I grab Ryder from his chair and rest him on my waist as Jess snaps a few photos, my face probably unpleasant in each one she takes, "Cole, you coming?"

"Sure, shorty," He says and gets up and grabs his car keys from his pocket. I turn to our friends and see them smiling at us adoringly, "We'll meet you at the party, we won't be too late," I say and they nod and smile.

"Caiden, Callum, come on, your nephew is tired," Cole inputs and the boys groan, remaining in the booths, "Callum drove so we'll leave in a bit," Caiden points out and Cole shrugs, "Leave in fifteen, we can't leave Ryder alone," He demands and they nod in understanding, continuing with their conversations with our friends.

After we have settled in the car, I smile at Ryder dozing off in his seat as Cole drives steadily home.

***

We pull up in the driveway after just a five minute drive and I head over to Ryder and pull him out of his seat as he stirs in his sleep. I grab the keys that Cole had cut for me and unlock the door, whipping my boots off and I head straight to Ryder's bedroom.

I lay him in his race car bed and cover him up, leaving him in the tiny Ralph Lauren joggers and T-Shirt that Gina bought him for his birthday. They're comfortable enough, I shrug. The door creaks open and Cole walks in and stands next to me, his arm wrapping around my waist. He kisses my temple and I turn to smile at him, "He's gorgeous, isn't he?" I state and Cole nods.

"Ours," He simply says and returns his gaze to our sleeping boy. We both take it in turns to kiss his forehead and then we both switch off the lights together. We head out of Ryder's room and up to Cole's bedroom so he can freshen up.

He sprays himself with aftershave and tops up his deodorant before coming out of his bathroom, his eyes roaming around my body as I slouch on his bed, waiting for him. He storms over to me, snatching my face in his hands and smothering me with a kiss. I reciprocate the kiss as he sits next to me and I fling my leg over him, sliding into a straddled position on his lap.