(24)

Sunbaenim looked messed up when I saw him inside that empty small room, with plastered wall and dim lights. There were a wooden bed, a coffee table with nothing on it, and a wooden chair. He wasn't tied on the chair, neither was handcuffed. 

At least, I knew I had someone on my side. If the didn't believe in him anymore, they could have tied him in the chair, or so I thought.

The large man still had his head down, sitting on the bed. He didn't bug a bit when I came in. I was sure I already opened the door loudly. Maybe he just didn't want to see me

"...Sunbaenim?" I carefully stepped as a crack sound came from the wooden floor. The room seemed in a brink of collapse if I gave enough attention to its surrounding. I stopped just in front of him, unsure where should I sit.

Sumbaenim lifted his head and looked at me. I stunned, scanning his tired face. His eyes were swollen, and tiny facial hairs started to grow around his lips. He looked like he hadn't gotten any sleep for a week. 

"Sunbaenim, what's going on?" I directly asked. I rather went into the topic quickly than had a silent moment with him. I had enough of its intense atmosphere.

Sunbaenim let out a heavy breath, the first sound coming from him finally.

"Sunbaenim, you know I still believe in you," I stated.

His mouth opened slowly. "...Why?" My entire body flinched after heard his hoarse and weak voice. Did he really close his mouth at all for entire two days? I gulped.

I don't know, was the only answer I could tell him, but of course, if I said it out loud, Sunbaenim would think I'm a weird person. Why would you still believe someone who betrayed you? 

"Why are you defecting us?" I finally asked the question that I had longed to know.

Sunbaenim tapped the spot beside him. I carefully walked forward and took a seat on the bed with him. Honestly, I was half afraid that he might attack me nowhere, the memory of the fight began to play inside my head. I took a peek at his right hand. The white bandage made my heart dropped. The first time I stabbed on someone's hand. 

I didn't want to remember that moment anymore.

"I didn't intend to take their side when I first came in."

I turned my head to him.

"I was assigned to spy on them." Sunbaenim lowered down his head, looking at his feet. He started the conversation weakly that I hardly able to hear him. "My young sister befriends with a beast. To catch this beast, they decided to hostage her."

My breath stopped for a moment. PD-nim once told me that the Catcher won't hesitate to involve innocent humans just to catch a beast. Heck, they can kill them without a second thought.

"My sister called me for a help, so I ran to the location where she was at." Sunbaenim's voice trembled. "When I arrived, her friend came at the same time. She suddenly transformed to her original form, so I hid, scared since it was the first time I witnessed something like that."

I could guess the direction of the story.

"The result was terrible. That beast died because of the gunshot, and my sister died of taking a bullet as well. I wanted to run from there, but that Catcher knew where I was. He..." Sunbaenim stopped to take a breath. "He forced me to join his cause since I knew already about beast's appearance."

"Join the organisation?" I repeated, imagining Sunbaenim was working with those bastards.

He let out a snort. "Funny. Just because my sister sided with a beast, they looked at her family as their enemy too. He said, if I didn't join, they would chase down my family and killed them. I only had my mother and my father since that day, so I agreed."