The Mickey Mouse Hotel

Mickey Mouse Hotel

Forgotten Eisner Idea

I was reading DISNEY WAR by James B. Stewart when a part about an idea that Michael Eisner had to make a Mickey Mouse hotel, a 43-story towering, inhabitable monument to the mouse himself.   

And here is the story  and references I could find since I hardly found anything on the Internet. One day upon reading this, a Youtube video popped up about "5 Failed and Abandoned Eisner-Era Disney Ideas." Was this a sign or a coincidence?

Just two weeks after arriving at the company, Eisner convened a meeting with Marty Sklar, and Wing Chao, Disney's resident architect, as well as Kinsy, who was in charge of developing a master plan for the studio lot, which called for a new hotel on the small parcel along Riverside Drive in Burback.

In the book DISNEY WAR by James B. Stewart and I quote:

 Eisner suggested, "Let's make this a Mickey Mouse hotel." 

Sklar replied "You mean the name, the Mickey Mouse Hotel?" 

"No" said Eisner. "Make it in the shape of Mickey, with rooms in the legs.  

"Like the Colossus of Rhodes?" Chao asked.

"Yeah," Eisner said. "Straddling the street. That's what i'm talking about."

Had Eisner gone off the deep end? But he had certainly succeeded in breaking the creative ice.

It wasn't feasible, but to Disney Insiders, the freshly hired CEO's willingness to swing for the fences signaled a whole new ball game in terms of setting. Shortly thereafter, Chao who put the idea to rest by raising the question as to where the elevators for the hotel would go, what with the dynamic shape of the building and all.Eisner scrapped plans for two new, but architecturally mundane, hotels at Walt Disney World. 

It was a gusty move that risked a long-term relationship with a valued development partner, but it paid off. The 1514-room Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel and the 758-room Swan Hotel replaced the canceled hotels. Designed by world-renowned architect Michael Graves, they created a new standard for setting at Walt Disney World. Which became the Swan and Dolphin Hotel.

Was this just a crazy idea that Eisner had or do you agree with him? I know someone on here who would disagree and also calls him "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."  ;D  Feel free to express you're opinion.

Source: DISNEY WAR by James B. Stewart, "5 Failed and Abandoned Eisner-Era Disney Ideas." and wdwmagic

Always be a D.R.E.A.M. (Disney Rules Everything Around Me)