Twenty-Four

The weekend Tom and I had spent together was pure bliss, but it, unfortunately, ended too soon for my liking. We still talked every day, but it was nothing like being able to hold each other as we had last summer. This distance issue had caused a rift between the two of us, and it finally came to a head two days ago while we were on the phone.

"Finals week is coming up," I had told him. "I'm not ready for my finals, but I can't wait for them to be over."

"You know, Grace, now that you're technically an established actor, you don't have to worry about finishing school anymore." What was he saying? "You would be able to control your own schedule, and we'd probably be able to see each other more."

"Tom, are you suggesting that I drop out of school?"

"Yeah, I guess I am. Come on, school is just going to get in the way of acting."

"Are you serious right now?!" I had raised my voice at that point, startling Ali. She could sense what was happening between the two of us, so she stepped out to give us privacy in this.

"Yes I am, baby. I think that it would be best for you if you focused more on acting than school. Not every movie company is going to be as accommodating as Marvel and Disney are being with your school schedule."

"Tom, school came first! This whole acting thing wasn't even a prospect before I met you! Besides, if producers really want me in a movie, they'll make sure it works for me or I won't even be in it!"

"Grace, just listen to yourself! You've told me more than once how badly school stresses you out! You'd get rid of that stress if you just stopped!"

"Tom, I am NOT dropping out of school! I've always wanted to improve my education, and this is letting me do that! I'll try to break into acting further once I get my diploma next year!"

"You're really going to put a successful career on hold because of some stupid piece of paper?!"

"You did not just say that." I was angry at that point.

"I did."

"You know what, I'm done with this conversation. Goodbye, Tom."

"Grace, wait--" I had hung up before he got the chance to say anything else that would piss me off. I took a deep breath as tears peppered my eyes, making my way over to an academic building with a balcony. It's where I did my late at night thinking on campus.

After about a day to cool down, I realized that I had overreacted when it came to that phone call. Sure, I was upset, but I didn't need to freak out like I had. I knew Tom was usually the one who went out of his way to make me feel better, so I decided that I would do something to help him. 

I sat down at my computer to find a gift basket company to work with. I was able to order a basket filled with some of his favorite snacks and treats, along with a toy for Tessa and an apology note. 'I'm sorry I overreacted on the phone, baby. Call me when you get this basket, I'd like to apologize even further. I love you, baby.'

It seemed as if Tom had the same apology idea. As I was going through my day, I got an email saying that I received a delivery. When I went to pick it up, I smiled gently. The campus post worker handed me a vase of peonies and a box of chocolate. There was a note in the vase. 'I shouldn't have said what I said. I'm so sorry, darling. Call me when you get these so we can talk this out.'

I went back to my room, holding the vase and smiling as I set it on my desk. I picked up my phone, calling Tom and sitting on my bed. "Darling?"

"I got your delivery, Tom. They're beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you are." I blushed gently as I heard him sigh. "I'm so sorry I suggested that you drop out. I know how important your degree is to you, and I shouldn't have suggested that or call it a stupid piece of paper." 

"I know distance is stressful, Tom. And I'm sorry too. I completely overreacted to what you said, and I shouldn't have."

"Darling, you shouldn't be sorry. I upset you."

"And I upset you too, baby. Hanging up on you was completely uncalled for. I'm so sorry that we fought."

"Me too, baby. I miss being with you, and I guess it got in my head."

"I miss you too," I whispered, wiping a tear gently. I could hear him sighing.

"Darling, please don't cry." His voice was soft as he spoke. "Hey, how many Marvel Superheroes does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"

"How many?" I chuckled gently, already expecting a stupid punchline. Tom knew that bad jokes always make me feel better.

"One, but it'll take Iron Man and Captain America three days to argue about who's doing it right." I let out a laugh, and I could hear him chuckling too.

"Thank you for that. I needed it."

"Of course, darling. I love you, Grace."

"I love you too, Tom." I smiled as I hugged my legs together. "Oh, um, I have something to tell you."

"Of course, baby. What's up?"

"I may or may not have sent you an apology gift too." I heard him chuckle softly. "And there may or may not be a Spider-Man chew toy for Tessa included."

"You're such an angel." I could hear him grinning as he spoke.

"You know, once finals week is over, we'll be able to see each other again." Our press tour for the movie will be after Christmas, but Tom would be flying out like two days after my finals were done and staying with my family so we could spend our first Christmas together.

"I can't wait. Are you sure your parents are cool with Tessa coming with me?"

"Absolutely, Tom. She's the most well-mannered, sweet dog ever and my mom is so excited to meet her."

"I'm glad to hear that, darling."

Let me know your thoughts! :-)