Forty-Three

Trigger warning--this chapter deals with spiking of a drink in attempts of rendering a person unable to give consent. Feel free to skip this chapter if you wish; I will include the two plot pieces revealed in this chapter at the beginning of the next chapter for those who do, along with the explanation that will be included at the end of this one.

"Wait, really?! He's playing my dad?!" I could tell that Tom was wondering who Alex had mentioned, but his smile told me that he was happy I was so excited regardless of his curiosity.

"He is. He's also so excited to work with you."

"Okay if you keep saying stuff like that I'm going to freak out even more." I chuckled, and Tom smiled gently.

"Okay, okay." I heard him chuckling too. "Well, he's flying in right before production starts, so you'll meet him then."

"I mean, I have once before, but I'm so excited for this. Thank you for calling me."

"Of course, Grace. We'll see you later."

"Goodbye, Alex." As I hung up, Tom raised an eyebrow. "Do you want me to tell you?"

"Of course I do, but if you don't I'll find out eventually. Either way, I'm gonna know."

"I mean, true. It's Paul Rudd."

"Wait, really?! That's so awesome!" He grinned, hugging me. He knew that many of my favorite films featured Paul Rudd, and I was also a huge Friends fan.

"I know!" I grinned softly.

"Wanna go out tonight to celebrate?" He smiled at me softly.

"Yeah. Clubbing?" His smile grew as I wrapped my arms around him.

"If that's what you wanna do, of course, we'll do that." I nodded, and he smiled before pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"That's exactly what I wanna do." I smiled up at him.

After we went home, I hopped in the shower and did my makeup to go out. When Tom saw me, he smiled widely. "You look amazing, as always."

"Thank you, my love." I smiled as I kissed him gently.

"Shall we, my dear?"

"Lead the way, Tom." I grinned softly as I grabbed his hand.

Once our Uber arrived at the club, I took a deep breath. I had been to bars before, but this seemed very different. I was excited nonetheless--I was filled with nervous excitement.

As we walked inside, Tom and I made a beeline for the bar. I couldn't wait to get my drink on, and it was clear that he couldn't either. As we got our cocktails, he tapped his glass to mine. "To your first club."

"I'll drink to that." I grinned, tapping his glass back before taking a big drink. "Do me a favor?"

"Yes, baby?"

"No matter how often I ask you, don't sleep with me." He gave me a gentle grin as he kissed my forehead. 

"I'd never sleep with you when either of us isn't fully sober." I smiled softly as I kissed him softly.

"This is why you're the best," I whispered as I took another sip. "Come on, let's hit the dance floor."

And that's where we spent a stark majority of the night. I definitely had more than one drink, but I lost count after like four. That didn't concern me, especially because I had learned to hold down my liquor.

What concerned me was the way I was feeling. I had never felt this way when I drank--a cloudy mind, blurred vision, and a light sensitivity. "Tom, I nnneed... bathroom..." 

The next thing I knew, a familiar set of arms was guiding me to the ladies room. Once I was inside, I was by myself, so I knew I hadn't been followed. 

"Oh my gosh, are you okay, love?" I looked up to see another girl standing by the sinks, and although my vision wasn't clear, she seemed genuinely concerned.

"Umm.... I d-don't know." She gently took my hand.

"Do you want to find your friends and go home?" When I nodded, she gave me a gentle smile.

"I t-think Tom issss who brought me t-t-too the b-bathroommmm."

"Okay, love." She took my hand and walked with me to the bathroom exit, where I heard the familiar voice of my boyfriend.

"Grace, love, are you alright?" I think I shook my head at that. I had intended to, anyway.

"I think she's a little too tipsy." The other girl's voice seemed to have a giggle in it, but that went away as soon as Tom spoke.

"No. I've seen her after she drank way more than she had tonight. Something is clearly wrong." Tom then wrapped an arm around me, and I leaned into him. I thought I had been gentle, but it seemed like he was struggling under my weight.

"Would you like help to take her home?" The stranger's voice was gentle, and I think Tom nodded.

"Please. Would you mind actually coming with us? I think I'm gonna need help getting her to bed too."

"Of course." 

That conversation was the last thing I remember.

When I woke up the next morning, I had a splitting headache. It was way worse than any hangover I ever had. I woke up to an empty bed, but I could hear someone in the spare bathroom of Tom's apartment. 

As I slowly got out of bed, I was faced with an unknown girl holding a glass of water and a bottle of painkillers. "Oh good, you're up."

"I'm sorry..." I raised an eyebrow as I looked at her. She shook her head with a grin, holding her hand out.

"It's okay, love. You had a rough night last night. I'm Stephanie." I shook her hand softly.

"Grace."

"It's lovely to actually meet you. Here, you're gonna want these." She held out the water and the painkillers, and I took them gladly.

"When you said I had a rough night...?" I didn't know how to finish that question as I sipped the water. She sighed softly, sitting on my bed.

"I met you for the first time last night, so I don't know how you handle excess amounts of alcohol. But Tom does, and he said he's never seen you act like the way you did last night." As she said that, my eyes widened.

"Do you think...?" I couldn't even say what I meant, but I could tell she knew.

"We do. And Tom is miserable because of it." She gave me a look that I knew was encouraging. "We didn't let anything happen. I stayed in this room with you last night, and Tom was in the guest bedroom." I looked to the couch that was in the room, and I could see a blanket and a pillow laid out, telling me that was where she slept.

"Oh my god..." Tears peppered my eyes, and she sighed softly. "How could I let this happen?"

"It's not your fault, and it will never be your fault." Her voice was gentle as she spoke. "We didn't let anything more happen to you, I promise."

"Thank you," I whispered as a tear slipped down my cheek, and she gave me a gentle smile.

"Of course, Grace."

This is never something that should happen. I'm fully aware of that, and it is something I am not a fan of. With that being said, my hopes is that the inclusion of this will call attention to how awful it is. I want to call people out on r**e so that our society will stop protecting them.