Forty-Four

Here is the notice promised for those that skipped the previous chapter: this is never something that should happen. I'm fully aware of that, and it is something I am not a fan of. With that being said, my hopes is that the inclusion of this will call attention to how awful it is. I want to call people out on r**e so that our society will stop protecting them.

The two plot elements revealed are that Paul Rudd is playing Grace's father and that Grace and Tom met a girl named Stephanie at the bar who helped get Grace home and stayed with her all night.

"Would you like some breakfast for your troubles? I have a killer waffle recipe." I gave her a gentle smile, and she shook her head.

"Thank you for the offer, but I should really be heading home. I have to get to work soon."

"Oh, alright. Well, let me at least give you my number. You were so wonderful, and I'd love to hang out sometime when I'm not in a state like you've seen me." She smiled as she handed me her phone.

"Sounds like a plan." She grinned, grabbing her coat once I gave her phone back. "In all sincerity, you should definitely go talk to Tom. He's been really shaken up about this, and I think seeing you will make him feel better."

"I will." I smiled gently. "Hey, text me when you get home, okay?"

"Of course." She smiled. Once she was gone, I took a deep breath and slowly stood up.

My head was still pounding, but I pushed that aside as I chugged the rest of the water Stephanie gave me before I made my way to the kitchen. Tom had made me tea every morning, and I decided to return the favor.

A few minutes later, I gently knocked on the door to the guest bedroom. "Baby? Can I come in?" I saw the door open after a few seconds, and Tom greeted me with a wide smile. "I made you some tea."

"Let's sit down, darling." He grinned, and soon we were sitting down on the bed in the guest room. He took a sip of the tea I made, making a face briefly before smiling. "It's delicious, love."

"No, it's not, Tom." I chuckled after my sip. When he took another sip and smiled, I set my mug down. "It's bad, love. I need some practice making it."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Tom, seriously. Please don't drink that. It's disgusting." He sighed and set the mug down, and I took his hand. "What's got you down, baby?"

"Last night." I sighed as I laced our fingers. "I have no idea how it happened. I was by your side the whole night."

"And you and Stephanie got me out of there before it got worse. You did the best thing you could have done." He bit his lip and looked at the bed. For the first time, I could see tears filling his eyes. "Tom..."

"I'm so sorry, Grace." His voice was barely a whisper as he looked up at me, tears spilling down his cheeks.

"Don't be, Tom." I wiped his tears with a smile. "I love you."

"I love you too." He whispered gently, a yawn forming.

"How long did you sleep last night, baby?" I used my free hand to push some of his messy hair from his eyes.

"Probably like two hours." I sighed softly as he shook his head.

"Tom, you need to get some sleep."

"Only if you'll be here with me." I smiled and nodded softly, laying down with him and resting my head on his chest.

"Always, my love," I whispered. Once I could tell that he was asleep, I smiled softly.