10 years later

When Willy Wonka sent out the golden tickets, I couldn't even buy one Wonka Bar, without people asking me why I'm only buying one. "Maybe because I only want one," was always my sarcastic answer.

When I came home that year, Charlie told me he wanted to find one, so I bought him a candy bar for his birthday. And I felt bad because he didn't find the ticket and looked like he was about to give up.

"Look, kid," I said to him, "You'll find one."

"How do you know."

"I can see the future."

"No, you can't."

"Yes. I can. I told your parents that you were a boy before you were born, didn't I."

"Yes."

"See, I'll buy you one more candy bar. And if it doesn't have one I'll give you ten bucks."

"Really?"

"Really, really. Go put your jacket on and we'll go right now."

"I hope you're ready for when he gets disappointed," Mrs. Bucket said.

"I think he'll find it."

"You know for not liking," she started, then I gave her a look that said, 'don't say his name,' "'him,' you sure do buy a lot of his candy."

"I do it for Charlie," I said simply. Charlie came down the stairs then, "Ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go now," he grabbed my hand and started to pull me out the door.

While we were walking down the street, I heard people talking about how the last ticket was found in Russia. Fuck, I thought. Looking down at Charlie, who hadn't seemed to notice, even though I know he did. We arrived at the candy store and I noticed a bunch of signs saying "RUSSIAN TICKET FAKE" I gave Charlie the money and waited outside for him. Eventually, I got bored and started playing with the ring on my finger. A few seconds later, he came running out with something gold flashing in his hands.

Charlie grabbed my hand and started running towards the house. It took me a moment to process what the shiny thing was, but as soon as he walked into the room and handed it to Joe, I knew exactly what it was and froze, not paying attention to what was going on around me. That was until, I heard my name, factory, and go in the same sentence.

"I'm not going," I said.

"Why?" Charlie asked.

"I think Grandpa Joe should go instead," I said, "He wouldn't want to see me again." I left the room and sat in my car for a few minutes. I heard a knock on the passenger window and jumped. I looked up and unlocked the doors, letting Mrs. Bucket in.

"Are you feeling okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine."

"Amandah, I'm not Charlie. You can't lie to me. You miss him, don't you?"

"I stopped missing him a long time ago."

"Is that why you still wear the necklace he gave you? How do you plan on marrying Dave if you can't get Willy off your mind?"

"We broke up."

"Then go with Charlie to the factory. Joe is refusing to go."

"Willy said he never wanted to see me again."

"Well, Charlie can't go by himself. I have to take care of everyone, and Mr. Bucket has a job interview." I sighed, looking out at the factory. "You gave Dave dozens of chances. Don't you think Willy deserves one?" Willy's bedroom curtain was open, and I could faintly see his outline. "Besides it's not like he's going to throw you out in front of everyone."

"Alright," I whispered, "I'll go. But only because Charlie needs someone with him."