Waking Up

"You're awake," Willy breathed, hugging me. "I'm so sorry," he whispered into my hair. What the hell? I thought. I looked around at the room I was in. It greatly resembled a hospital room.

"What's going on?" I asked, pushing him away. "Why'd you bring me here?" I tried to get the tubes out of my arm. "We were just talking in the chocolate room."

"Don't take those out," he stated, grabbing my hand. "We weren't in the chocolate room."

"Yes, we were. I just got here for the tour, and you wanted to talk to me. Then my head started pounding and next thing I know I'm here. How'd I get here?"

"Starshine, you've been in a coma for almost a year."

"You're lying."

"I'd never."

"You have." Willy took my hand in his. I glanced down, noticing the outline of a ring on his glove, then I saw mine. I looked up at him, meeting his eyes. "What sort of game are you playing?!" I asked.

"You don't remember our wedding?"

"That is something I'd definitely remember."

"Well, apparently not," he crossed his arms. "Tell me what you do remember."

I started telling him about my memories. Most of the time Willy had a confused look on his face, but he listened. Then he just looked sad. "I'll be back in a moment, Amandah," he said, getting up. Willy's hand gently brushed mine as he left. I started messing with the tubes in my arm again.

Willy entered the room with a book. "What's that?" I asked.

"A photo album Joe and Charlie made for us." He grabbed my hand, taking it away from the tubes. "It sounds to me that you're memories got jumbled up, so maybe this will help."

"Where's my family?"

"Sleeping," he replied. "You can see them in the morning. The doctor will be coming by then too." He set the book down, before helping me sit up. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Confused." I scooted over so he could sit next to me. "What happened to me?"

"We were on our way to our honeymoon and the plane crashed. I did my best to protect you, but failed."

"I'm sure it's not your fault, Willy."

"I should've done a better job."

"You didn't know it was going to happen." I met his eyes. "Did you get hurt too?"

"Yes, not as bad as you though." He sat down, making sure not to touch me.

"Why can't I take the tubes out?"

"Right now, those are the only things giving you what you need to survive. Until the doctor gives the okay you can't take them out." He picked up the book, opening it to the first page. Which was an article. The picture showed Willy and I kissing, and the headline read WHO IS MR. WONKA'S MYSTERY WOMAN? "That has caused us some trouble but it's the earliest picture they had of us." I smiled slightly.

"How'd we meet?"

"You were working late, at the candy store, and I was shopping. You almost dropped a box on my foot." I laughed. "I caught it and helped you with the rest of them. I visited you quite often after that."

"When was this?" I asked, addressing the picture.

"Three months later."

"We were dating three months after meeting?!"

"No," Willy laughed. "we would steal kisses, like this, when Charlie wasn't around, but we decided to wait a year before we took our relationship further. Mostly so I could focus on teaching Charlie."

Willy pointed to the next picture, which was of the entire family. "This was taken right after you all moved in." I noticed small differences in everyone features- mainly in colors.

"Willy, look at me," I told him. Willy did as I said, and I started studying his face gently touching his cheeks.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"There are differences," I muttered. "In your appearance now compared to what I remember." I took his gloves off. "Touch me."

"I think we should wait to do that until you've recovered a bit more."

"Not sexually, Willy!" I blushed. "How you would before kissing me." Willy hesitated before gently cupping the side of my face, his thumb brushing against my cheek. I smiled, leaning into his hand.

"I love you, starshine," he whispered, pressing his lips to my head.

"I wasn't sure this was real," I told him. "Now, I know it is, and I've forgotten everything." I wrapped my arms around him.

"You will remember, Amandah. It's just going to take some time."

"Why did you apologize when I woke up?" I asked.

"I knew you were scared of planes, but I still took you on one."

"I don't blame yo