Talking Alone

"Now," Mr. Wonka stated, "do be careful, my dear children. Don't lose your heads. Don't get overexcited. Just keep very calm."

"It's beautiful," Charlie said.

"What? Oh, yeah it's very beautiful."

Mr. Wonka led everyone through the room. "Every drop of the river is hot melted chocolate of the finest quality." We went over a bridge by the chocolate waterfall. "The waterfall is most important," Mr. Wonka continued, using hand movements to show what he meant, "It mixes the chocolate, churns it up, makes it light and frothy. By the way, no other factory in the world mixes its chocolate by waterfall, my dear children. And you can take that to the bank." He then turned around continuing over the bridge. I kept Charlie close to me making sure he didn't fall into the river.

After everyone passed him, Mr. Wonka spoke again, "People! Those pipes," he pointed at a pipe going through the room, "suck up the chocolate and carry it away all over the factory thousands of gallons an hour, yeah. And do you like my meadow? Try some of my grass. Please have a blade. Please do. It's so delectable and so darn good looking."

"You can eat the grass?" Charlie asked.

"Of course you can. Everything in this room is eatable even I'm eatable, but that is called cannibalism my dear children and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. Yeah. Enjoy." Augustus was the first one gone his mother soon following after. "Go on." Wonka encouraged, "Scoot, scoot." Charlie then dragged me off further into the room. I was about to grab a candy apple when Willy spoke behind me.

"Can we talk?" he asked.

"You're talking to me right now, aren't you?" I replied.

"I mean alone." I glanced up at him. "Please?"

"Charlie!" I called. Charlie ran over to us. "I'm going to talk with Mr. Wonka alone, don't touch the river." He nodded, going back to wherever he was before. I turned to Willy. "Lead the way," I told him. I followed him to a licorice Willow tree, and he parted the vines. I walked in first, before turning around to look at him, my arms crossed. "What is it?"

"I- Is he yours?" Willy asked.

"That's not really any of your business, is it?"

"Stars-"

"Don't call me that."

"Just answer the question, Amandah."

"No, he's not mine. Is that all?" Willy hesitated, looking away.

"I wanted to apologize for what I did. Not a day goes by that I don't regret it."

"Why did you do it then?

"I thought you were going to leave again. Starshine, I wanted a family with you, not just an heir."

"You knew where I was, Willy. That entire month and year after year I came to see if you'd changed your mind."

"You stopped a few years ago. I waited for you the year you stopped coming."

"I didn't care anymore," I whispered. "I couldn't care." My head started hurting, and I fell to the ground, holding it.

"Starshine!" Willy called, his voice urgent. Suddenly his hand was in mine, squeezing it. My hand felt wet, and I looked up opening my eyes to a bright light above me.