Charlie Can't keep a Secret

"Where's Charlie?" I asked when the schoolyard was mostly empty. Willy looked at his pocket watch.

"He's usually here by now," Willy said, "Maybe he just had to use the restroom?" We waited a few more minutes, and still no Charlie.

"I'm going to go find him," I stated, getting up and facing Willy. "You coming?"

"Don't ask silly questions, starshine." I heard running towards us and turned around just as Charlie wrapped his arms around me. I knelt down, wrapping my arms around him, and rubbing his back

"What's wrong?" Charlie didn't say anything.

"Did someone hurt you?" Willy asked. He shook his head.

"Charlie, I can't make it better if you don't tell me what happened," I told him.

"My essay didn't count," he muttered. "The teacher said I made it up, and that I was supposed to write a real event that happened over break."

"Where's your classroom?" I asked.

"What are you going to do?"

"Prove your teacher wrong." I stood up taking Charlie's hand. "Lead the way." Willy picked up Charlie's bag and followed us. I glanced back at him, seeing him thinking. I reached for his hand, pulling him next to me. "What are you thinking about?" I asked.

"Do they still do that Valentines Day thing?"

"They did before we met," I replied. "Planning something?"

"I'll tell you later." I nodded. We arrived at Charlie's classroom. "It's pronounced Hambacher," Willy whispered, opening the door. Charlie went in first, and the teacher looked up.

"Miss H. this is my sister, Amandah," Charlie said.

"What did I tell you about lying, Charlie."

"What makes you think he's lying?" I asked. "I am his sister, and I have been since he was born."

"He's lied before." I sat on a desk.

"My brother is not a liar," I stated. "If you've been telling him that he's lying, I will be going to the school board."

"I'm just doing my job."

"That isn't your job. That's the parent's job."

"Well, they're not doing a very good job of it if he still thinks he's inheriting Willy Wonka's Factory."

"He is inheriting the factory!" Willy grabbed my hand to calm me down.

"Like she said," Willy added, "Charlie won the contest and inherits the factory when I retire." I looked up at him. "Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean he's lying."

"Anything else you've told him was lies?" I asked.

"No," she replied.

"I expect his essay to be graded with the others."

"There's something else I'd like to speak with her about, starshine," Willy said, "take Charlie outside."

I saw Miss Hambacher perk up. Willy didn't seem to notice and kissed my hand my ring flashing. "Alright," I told him. "We'll be by the swings." I hopped off the desk and Charlie and I left the room.

"Wanna race?" I asked Charlie. He shook his head.

"What's Willy doing?"

"He wanted to talk to your teacher for a bit." I sat on a swing. "He'll be here soon."

"Are you guys gonna have kids?"

"I don't know Charlie," I replied. "Willy doesn't seem to want kids right now."

"That's just because of what happened last time."