Return to the Factory

The next morning, Charlie and I stood at the factory gates along with the other winners. "This is a bad idea," I muttered under my breath, as the gates opened.

"Come forward!" Willy's voice echoed off the walls of the factory. "Close the Gates!" I knew exactly where Willy was, and hid my face so he wouldn't see me. I glanced at the doorway, seeing his back and part of his face, although most of it was covered by bug eye glasses. I held back a laugh.

The red curtains opened revealing a puppet show. Willy stood next to me, and my grip on Charlie got tighter. The show ended and Willy started clapping. "Wasn't that just magnificent?" he asked, "I was worried about it getting a little dodgy in the middle part, but then that finale- Wow!" He moved to stand in front of everyone. He looked like he was having a hard time getting words out.

"Who are you?" Violet asked.

"He's Willy Wonka," Charlie said. Mr. Wonka stared at us for a second, then looked at me. Our eyes met briefly, and he had a hard time speaking.

"Good Morning, Starshine. The earth says hello." Willy pulled out cue cards and read, "Dear Guests, greetings, welcome to the factory I shake you warmly by the hand." He held out his hand, and, when no one shook it he continued. "My name is Willy Wonka."

"Then shouldn't you be up there?" Veruca asked.

"Well, I couldn't very well watch the show from up there, now could I, little girl?" he asked. "Now, then, let's get a move on kids."

"Don't you want to know our names?" Augustus asked.

"Can't imagine how it would matter." I knew he already knew everyone's names. He would've paid attention to whoever was coming into his factory. "Come quickly, far too much to see."

Willy led us into a long hallway. "Just drop your coats anywhere," he said taking off his coat and glasses throwing them in a pile on the floor. I slipped my coat off, putting it on a post with Charlie's. I felt Mr. Wonka watching me and turned to look at him. I gave him a small smile, which he returned.

"Mr. Wonka? Sure is toasty in here," Mr. Teavee said.

"What?" Mr. Wonka responded, "Oh, yeah. I have to keep it warm in here because my workers are used to an extremely hot climate. They just can't stand the cold."

"Who are the workers," Charlie asked.

"All in good time. Now..." he turned and started walking down the hall. We didn't get very far because Violet decided to hug him. He jumped and looked down at her.

"Mr. Wonka, I'm Violet Beauregarde," she said, smacking her gum.

"Oh," Mr. Wonka replied, "I don't care."

"Well, you should care, because I'm the girl who's going to win the special prize at the end."

"Well, you do seem confident, and confidence is key." We didn't get much further before Veruca decided it was her turn. Wonka jumped back a bit, not expecting her to be in front of him.

"I'm Veruca Salt," she said," It's very nice to meet you, sir." She did a little curtsy and smiled.

"I always thought a verruca was a type of wart you got on the bottom of your foot," he said, laughing at the end. Veruca glared at him. Then Augustus decided to introduce himself.

"I'm Augustus Gloop, I love your chocolate," he said.

"I can see that," Wonka responded, "So do I. I never expected to have so much in common." he started to walk again, but decided to turn around and address the rest of us. "You. You're Mike Teavee. You're the little devil who cracked the system." Mr. Wonka didn't seem to happy about that. "And you," he turned towards Charlie, "Well, you're just lucky to be here, aren't you? And the rest of you must be their p-" he looked like he was having trouble getting the word out.

"Parents," Mr. Salt offered.

"Yeah. Moms and Dads," Mr. Wonka seemed to zone out a little bit, "Dad? Papa?" he mumbled barely audible. Great, I thought, It's going to be a long day. "Okay, then. Let's move along."He glanced at Charlie then me, before turning around.

As we were walking, I noticed the walls getting smaller, and the adults had to crouch down to continue down it.