Chapter 44 - A Sudden Stroke of Luck

A few days after visiting Reimako's parents.

She made up her mind to approach a crucial decision of her life realistically.

But...

(She's been acting strange lately...)

Rei, are you taking a break from studying?" asked Yomiko as she walks through the living room.

"Ah, yes... Kinda.."

"Hmn ? What's the matter?"

"I can't seem to focus on my studies today."

Yomiko gives her a curious look.

"Hmn...That seems to be happening a lot lately."

"Are you all right? You haven't tried stuffing to much info at once?"

"I'm fine..." Rei replied nonchalantly.

"It's best if you take a break here and there while studying."

"That's a good point, thank you Yomiko."

I watch this exchange as I tidy the living room.

(She's having trouble concentrating on her study lately...)

(Maybe her talk with her parents has reawakened her dream.)

And on another day

I woke up early in the morning because it's my schedule to prepare breakfast for the Famille' members,

But as I walk into the kitchen.

(Rei, why is up this early and it's my schedule today, is she cooking breakfast?)

I noticed she's in deep though as the soup she's cooking is boiling and steam coming out of its lid.

(That pot looks like it's going to boil over...)

"R-Rei."

"Oh, Mina...Good morning."

"Good morning," once I greeted her I rush over to the pot and turn the burner down take up the lid get the spatula and mix the almost burn soup gently.

"Oh! S-Sorry about that..." she apologizes a bit embarrassed.

"No, that's fine but...it's dangerous when your not paying attention you know."

"S-sorry I was daydreaming..."

She's been daydreaming an awful lot lately.

Especially when she's cooking.

"Why are you up this early Rei?"

"Huh? I'm up because I need to make breakfast for everyone." She said to me with a confused look.

"That's nice and all Rei but it's my schedule today,remember?"

"Huh?" she glances over the note that is posted in the refrigerator door.

"Oh! S-Sorry I forgot to check."

"It's okay let me just help you with today okay."

"O-okay, thanks Mina and sorry that I took your cooking schedule..." she replied timidly.

"You don't need to feel bad about it Rei, don't worry about it," I replied with a gentle smile,.

(I bet she's been thinking about her dream of becoming a chef a lot lately, that's probably the reason why she's been absent minded lately.)