- 1 8 -

He took a sip of the bottle of beer before speaking.

"Came here to be alone."

He was sitting on the backboard of the bench with his feet on the seat. I couldn't hide the fact that I was freezing to death so I touched my arms with the opposite arm and rubbed to try and get some warmth. Stupid me didn't check the weather. I started to shiver as snowflakes were getting caught in my hair. The leather of my jacket was cold and wasn't helping at all. I then felt a bit of weight on my shoulders but was a bit warm. 

I looked down to see Connor's suit blazer wrapped around me. I heard a 'Tch' and a sigh while their was the sound of liquid swishing around in a bottle. I looked to the side to see Connor rubbing the back of his neck, while looking the other way. He was now exposing his white dress shirt and tie. Seriously killing me...

I looked back in front of me and smiled to myself. It was a bit above my knees, to my lower thighs, but I really liked it. I crossed my arms in the blazer and looked down. The sound of shoes tapping on the ground, and Connor walking forward in my peripheral vision.

"We're not making any progress on this investigation... The deviants have nothing in common." He folded his arms. "They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places..." He looked back at us.

"Well there must be some link."

I gripped the material, fidgeting with the opening and bit my lip.

"What they have in common is this obsession with rA9... It's almost like some kind of... myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original program..." He glanced at us again.

"Androids believing in God... Fuck, what's this world coming to?" He spoke before lifting the bottle to his mouth.

"You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant... Is it something to do with what happened back at the Eden club?" Connor turned around to fully face Hank. He unfolded his hands and placed the back to his sides.

"Those two girls... They just wanted to be together... They really seemed... In love..."

"They can simulate human emotions, but they're machines. And machines don't feel anything."

I was starting to get a little nervous with the situation. I felt a little hurt with Connor's words. I just don't know why.

"What about you, Connor?... You were about to kiss Aaron back at the club... The look in your eyes were different..." Hank took a sip from the bottle before placing it down and getting off the bench to walk towards Connor.

Connor stayed silent.

"You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?..."

My eyes kept switching between Hank and Connor.

"I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant. Your partner... Your buddy to drink with... Or just a machine... Designed to accomplish a task."

"You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't. Why didn't you shoot, Connor?" Hank pushed his shoulder causing him to move back.

I quickly moved in between them to try and stop the scene.

"Hey, hey, hey cut it out.." I pushed them back to keep distance between each other.

"Hm? Some scruples suddenly enter into your program?" I held Hank back.

"Stop..." I whispered, but he kept going.

"No... I just decided not to shoot, that's all..." Connor answered.

Hank pushed me aside with his arm and drew his gun out.

"Hank!" I quickly tried to stop him, but he didn't back down.

"I could kill you..." He walked closer to Connor while pointed his gun at him. "And you would just come back as if nothing happened. But are you afraid to die, Connor?"

I looked at Connor with a worried expression. He looked at me, then back at Hank to answer his question.

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be... Interrupted... Before I can finish this investigation."

I was about to stand in front of Connor, but Hank gripped my arm tightly and it started hurt.

"What will happen if I pulled this trigger? Hm? Nothing? Oblivion? Android heaven?"

Connor suddenly walked closer to Hank, letting the metal of Hank's gun come in contact with his forehead. My eyes widened.

"You know you're not going to shoot me, Lieutenant. You're just trying to provoke a reaction. I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you." He tilted his head a bit.

"You think you're so fucking smart..."

I quickly came back to reality and pulled my arm from Hank's grip.

"Ok! That's enough!" I said while grabbing Connor's arm and pulling him away from the Hank. "It's not necessary to shoot him. There are more and more androids becoming deviant as we speak. We don't have time for this." I sighed as the thought of the deaths that the androids cause make me dislike humanity even more.

"But how do you know he's not a deviant?" Hank pointed his gun back to Connor beside me.

I just sighed. I didn't care if he was a deviant or not.

"I self-test regularly. I know what I am, and what I am not."

Hank's hand shook a little, before he lowered the arm with the gun back to his side. He turned around and walked back to the bench to grab another beer and started walking away from us.

"Where are you going?" Connor asked.

"To get drunker... I need to think..." Hank opened the bottle and sipped it.

Me and Connor just stood there together in silence.

"Are you ok?" I asked him.

"Yes, I'm fine." He replied.

To be Continued...

A/n: Ok so one of you guys suggested to space out some sentences to make it easier to comment on. Hope this helps. ❤️ Aaaaand Sorry for not posting 😅