Chapter 02 : She Seems Amazing!

Shobha was in her room getting ready and choosing the best Bengali saree to wear while Sharmishtha was waiting for her outside at the door of their house.

"Maa. Jaldi karo." Sharmishtha called out to her.

"Haan na Shomi." Shobha was adjusting the drapes of her saree in he room. "Kyu chinta karta hai? I'm coming."

Sharmishtha smiled shaking her head and waited at the door for her mother. Both of them were going to Mandir to seek Durga Maa's blessings for it was the best day of their daughter's life. She had her own identity today and she was standing on her feet today. Sharmishtha smiled as a few minutes later, her mother had come out.

"Come on, let's go." Shobha said to her smiling and Sharmishtha nodded her head.

Both of them locked the door of their house.

Just then, a few women entered the Baadi after their daily chores. One of the ladies spotted Sharmishtha and Shobha...

"Hey, is that the family you were telling me about today in the morning?" One of the ladies mumbled silently to her mate.

Sharmishtha frowned on hearing the voice and she turned her head turned towards the lady. And here began the daily affair. This was not new to them. Whenever they spotted them, they would start gossiping about them.

"Yes, it's them," came their voice.

Shobha twisted her lips slightly on hearing this gossip. It was a daily affair for them but as one says, no matter if a stray dog keeps barking at an elephant, it still moves on in it's own way and does whatever it wants. That's how the Bose family's attitude was towards this so called society.

"Jaise Maa ki shaadi toot gayi, waise hi beti ki shaadi toot gayi. I seriously pity the poor girl."

Shobha turned her head towards Sharmishtha.

"Shomi." Shobha said to Sharmishtha. "I am telling you. If these bad eyes ever get laid on any one of you, I won't spare any of them."

"Just leave it na Maa." Sharmishtha told her generally. "Logon ke bolne se hume koi farak nai padhta. We shouldn't be affected by these people."

"You are right. Par tu dekh lena, bohot jaldi mera Shoru inn sab ka muh band kar dega." Shobha said in determination, "Humara Shoru aaj doctor ban gaya hai. Or mai ab kisi ki bhi buri nazar nahi lagne dungi apne bachchon par. Kisi. Ki. Bhi. Nahi."

Shobha stopped, she sighed calming herself down. She knew getting angry would lead them nowhere. They'd already tolerated worse, so this was no big deal for them. They just wanted to ignore these people.

"Just leave it. Let's not talk about it and ruin our day!" She said and Sharmishtha sighed before looking at her mother.

"Hey Durga Maa." Sharmishtha prayed in her mind. "Let no bad eyes fall on my daughter, please. Aakhir itne saalo baad meri beti sambhal gayi hai. I don't want my daughter to go through all this again. I won't let anyone lay a single finger on her."

"Shomi." Shobha cleared her throat. "Let's leave for Mandir. Let's not ruin today's big day by thinking about such jobless people."

And with that, both of them left from there for the Kolkata temple to seek Durga Maa's blessings, to pray for having the best for their daughter and their family. The biggest disappointment for them was, in all these years of their life spent in the Baadi of Kolkata, they'd got to see nothing but these kinds of discrimination only and still, nothing changed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

'Dr. Sanskar Maheshwari'

Swara read again...