Chapter 08 : Messing With My Heart

At Morning...

Swara and Sharmishtha had completed their breakfast together.

Swara was leaving for the hostel soon, so she prayed in front of Goddess Durga's idol seeking for her blessings.

She bent down to touch Sharmishtha's feet and she blessed her daughter with all her love.

"God bless you, my Shona. You are doing an amazing job, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise." She cupped her cheeks and planted a kiss on forehead. In return, Swara gleamed and kissed her mother's cheek.

"You know me already, Maa. I will do anything to make my Maa and Dida proud." She confessed with all her heart and Sharmishtha hugged her one more time.

Swara was all set to leave when suddenly they heard a female voice coming from outside. Since their door was open, Sharmishtha could make out the number of few ladies loitering outside.

"Ki korchis tui Shomi? (What are you doing, Shomi?)" One lady called out to her. Sharmishtha stood with Swara near the doorstep. "Is the barsi over? I'm sorry, I couldn't attend jijaji's barsi to pray for his soul. Actually I was..."

"That's absolutely fine, kaki." Sharmishtha told her calmly. "You can come later to pray for his soul. It's absolutely fine."

Swara stared at her mother, when the lady spoke up again...

"Honestly, I thought that if any of us will come for the ceremony, you will feel bad to see so many people mourning his death and praying for his soul to rest in peace, which he doesn't deserve to be honest." She said, and bile rose upto Sharmishtha's throat as her breath hitched on hearing things she wished she'd never heard. Swara's head snapped back at the lady.

"Don't get me wrong, Shomi, but he left you years ago, leaving your daughter as a fatherless child for all her li-"

"Enough kaki!"

Sharmishtha yelled loudly, just when Swara's heart became heavy on hearing something that had been a part of her life like a hooligan.

"Ab mai ek lafz bhi nahi sunungi apni beti ke khilaaf. I tolerated it until it was all about me. But I couldn't control myself when you dragged my daughter in this! And I won't bear if you raise your dirty fingers at my daughter." She spoke on one breath. Swara stared at her neighbours with anger bubbling her insides. Who the hell they were to insult her family? They weren't god, right?

"You're elder to me, kaki," Sharmishtha took a breath before continuing again. "...that is why I respect you. But there was no need for that remark! And yes, let me warn you," She raised her finger, giving them the final warning. "If ever I heard you badmouthing my daughter or my family infront of us or behind our back, toh mujhse bura koi nahi hoga."

"Well, whatever you believe, Shomi..." The ladies moved on to do their work, feeling offended hearing Sharmishtha's words.

Wish they could realise the poison they spoke everytime to let the Bose family down.

"Maa, you'll be fine na?" Swara asked Sharmishtha with sadness flashing across her face. "Should I stay here for one more day?"

"No, Shona!" Sharmishtha denied immediately. "Ignore them, you have nothing to do with these people. Don't miss your work because of them. I'll be fine. You already know, your mother is very strong. I don't need anyone's support, mai akele kaafi hu sab keliye."

"You know what Maa." Swara started, looking at her mother with heaviness in her heart. "I would have said thousand words to them too. I won't have stood there and tolerated all that they spoke about you. But you asked me never to interfere and involve myself into this, that is why I never did till today. Because you didn't want any bad eye on me, I know that and I don't want to do something you have forbidden me for. But you know what, if it happens ever again, no one will be worse than me. I won't leave them if they insult my Maa." She declared firmly.