Chapter 29 : It's A Promise

Each and every elder of the Maheshwari family stood in his/her place, totally dumbfounded and not understanding what was going on. All the eyes were on the eldest and the finest son of their family who they never saw complaining about anything throughout his life. But today, it was the first time he had something to say to them... something to express.

Something to reveal.

As Annapurna felt intimidated by Sanskar's livid look, he couldn't help but like that look of her. It was rare to see her like this. She surely didn't expect this from him, that one day he would stand up for himself and raise voice against the injustice she did to him... which she always did, and had been doing since childhood.

"What happened Badi Maa?" He took a step forward towards Annapurna and asked in a soft yet thick voice. "Shocked? Surprised? You can't believe that for the first time ever in my life, I'm speaking my mind in this house. You didn't know that one day you will see even this side of me-"

"Enough!" she scowled. "Do you even realize in front of whom you are talking to? Have you forgotten how do you talk with elders?"

"If you consider yourself an elder, then show that elderliness. You can't just do anything as you want without thinking of anything else! Now tell me... why did you do what you did with Swara?" he demanded from her.

The mention of Swara was enough to make Annapurna realise what this was all about. Her eyes turned a shade darker as now she understood he was talking to her in this tone because of Swara. And Ram and Durgaprasad -- who were totally clueless about what on earth was going on -- just looked on even more confused than before because of Swara's mention.

"Oh. So it's about that girl!" she glared at Sanskar. "Right, I should have known it before itself. Just for that girl, you can talk to your Badi Maa in such a loud voice!"

"That girl name's is Swara, Badi Maa!" he was losing his patience with every passing second. "And you know what, I can! I absolutely can because I know she is innocent. I have every right to defend her if someone wrongs her. If someone doubts her. If someone questions her goodness! Then I can fight with anyone for her, be it even you! I know what you did, but still I want to hear from you."

"I didn't do anything." she stated firmly. "I only warned her to stay away from you."

And this was told to him one more time. First by Swara, then by his Badi Maa now. Once again, he found himself drowning in the whirlpool of guilt. In which he blamed himself for what happened. He couldn't help it, but more than his Badi Maa, he felt angry on himself for allowing this to happen. Only if he hadn't let Swara answer that call from his home. This wouldn't have happened. They wouldn't have gone through this separation.

"Why?" With utmost disappointment towards himself, Sanskar gathered the courage to speak up. "Why did you do this, Badi Maa?"

"Because I know what her intentions are! You might be blind enough but remember, I have seen this world more than you did." She then looked at Durgaprasad and Ram who were looking at them expecting an answer to their queries, "Isse toh kuch pata hi nahi hai. Mai sab batati hoon aap dono ko ki kya hua." She glared at Sanskar, "You want to know why I told her to stay away from you, right? Here's the truth, that girl is just using you and you are just getting trapped by her."

Sanskar was utterly shocked hearing all this. He didn't understand what happened that his aunt was thinking this way about Swara. All he knew was he hadn't seen anyone more innocent and pure than his Swara. That's what made her special. And here his Badi Maa...

"What is going on?" This time, it was Durgaprasad who questioned them. "Will anyone tell us?"

"Exactly." Ram's gaze passed on from Sanskar to Annapurna. "And Sanskar, what is it about Swara? What has she got to do with this?" He asked in confusion.