Chapter 14 (II) : I Can Trust You!

To say that Sanskar was shocked with what Sharmishtha just told him would be an understatement.

He was stupefied, he was unnerved... beyond measures. Swara... had a broken marriage?!

Suddenly, he felt so detached from everything. All that he knew about Swara, everything began blending up in itself. It was almost as if this wasn't the Swara Sharmishtha was talking about.

"S-Swara..." All that Sanskar could manage to utter to Sharmishtha. "H-Her marriage?"

He averted his gaze from Sharmishtha and looked on shock as he failed to muster his courage to say something. What was he supposed to say at this point? How was he supposed to react on this?

On the other hand, Sharmishtha was looking at him, as if she'd just expected this reaction from him.

"Yeh sach hai, Sanskar." Sharmishtha repeated the darkest truth of her daughter's life once more, and Sanskar still wasn't able to react, just staring at a random spot in shock. "Swara ki shaadi mandap par hote hote reh gayi thi. Meri beti ki zindagi ka ek aisa sach jisne uska pyaar or vishwas par se bharosa tut gaya."

Sanskar still couldn't believe what he was hearing. This was too much to take in.

"Answer me honestly, did you expect this? And if not, does that change your perspective about her? Please, tell me truthfully, beta."

"No! Not at all!"

He didn't even need to think about it, he just said what was in his heart. Yes, it was true that he still couldn't believe it and he never expected it but no, that didn't change his view about her, and it would never.

"Yes, this is true. I hadn't expected it, par ek sach yeh bhi hai ki mere man mein Swara ke baare mein jo bhi khayal hai, woh nahi badal sakte. Kyu ki jis Swara ko maine dekha hai, jise maine pehchana hai, I am sure there must be something more to it. Something that's deeper than itself. Aur uska ateet jo bhi ho, uski jagah mere man mein wohi rahegi jo pehle se rehte aayi hai. No truth can ever change her place in my heart." He thought to himself.

"Aunty..." He licked his lips as he began. "It must... it must have been very hard for Swara."

"It was." She nodded her head in regret. "Especially when you are raised without a father. Especially when the society keeps on bringing your subject up, talking about how unfortunate we can be."

"Aunty, with what knowledge I have about life, past doesn't get the right to judge what a person is. I can only say that past is gone, and it shouldn't be dragged into our present and future."

"That's what you think, but not everyone thinks the same."

Silence fell in between them as Sharmishtha fell in her own thoughts, and Sanskar gave her her own time. He himself couldn't understand what to say because no words were enough.

"Swara never had the happiness of having both her mother and father look after her, watch her grow up. Her father, he never paid any attention to her. He never even treated her like his daughter. I think it had something to do with the fact that Swara's paternal family always wanted a son, not a daughter. But still, everything was fine until... she was four when her father began having an extra marital affair with someone in his office. And when I came to know about it, she was seven. He had been cheating on me for so many years and I didn't even know. We ended up in a heated argument, and Swara..."

She paused as pain flashed across her face when she recalled how her daughter was looking at both of them with such a vulnerable and terrified expression, fearing that her Maa and Baba would split apart and their family would break.