Chapter 13 : The Obvious Yet The Unforeseen

"Swara..." A very soft voice left Sharmishtha's lips, as she still struggled to open her eyes fully... to see her daughter who had been weeping for her mother's life all this while.

The sight of Swara's tears broke her heart.

"Maa!" Swara immediately wiped her tears and she put her hands forward to comfort Sharmishtha. "Maa, aaram se."

"Swara..." Sharmishtha opened her eyes finally, and turned her head slightly to see her Shona.

And that was all it took for Swara to break into sobs as she stared at her still-weak mother. No, she didn't want her daughter to cry.

"Stop crying!" Sharmishtha uttered to her. "See, I am fine now!" She told her daughter but she shaked her head in disbelief.

Here, her mom's life had almost been at stake since yesterday and she was telling her not to freaking cry!

"You... I-I can't Maa..." Swara couldn't control her tears as she was too overwhelmed by where situations were taking her. "I just can't." She whispered bowing her head in distress.

Her Maa was safe! She was staring at her! She looked at her mother with so many emotions swirling in her eyes.

But why all of it had to happen with her in the first place? Why was fate so cruel to her mom? Why was fate so cruel to her?!

"Stop crying, Swara!" Sharmishtha cooed to her daughter. "Please don't."

"Mene kaha tha aap se." Swara uttered to her while sobbing. "Apna dhyan rakha karo. Or aap ho ki sunte hi nahi ho."

Sharmishtha shaked her head, but in between she was still interrupted by those bright sunrays falling from the window...

And Swara immediately noticed what disturbed her mother. "Oh, I-I'll close the curtains!" And within a fraction of a second, she got up from the bed and hurried towards the window, as she shut the window tight and pulled the curtains together, covering Sharmishtha away from all those light rays.

And just then, she came back to her mother and sat near her again, running her fingers through Sharmishtha's hairs, caressing her with shivering hands.

"Maa y-you're okay now, right?" Swara asked her once for clarification. She wasn't going to sit back if even the slightest of thing bothered her mother now. "Kahi bhi dard nahi ho raha na? Please Maa, please tell me."

"Arey bas bas." Sharmishtha calmed Swara down as she smiled slightly. "Shant ho jaa Swara, breath! I'm better now, just a bit weakness and I know it's because of those medicines and it's very much ignorable. Sach toh yeh hai..." Sharmishtha smiled slightly and raised a hand cupping Swara's cheek tenderly. "Sach yeh hai ki mujhe raat ko hi hosh ho gaya tha. And that's when I saw, you were sleeping sitting on the chair right besides me, holding my hand. And I didn't want to wake you up, so even I drifted off to sleep then. And then... it's now when I got up."

"Mere liye iss baat se badh kar aur kuch bhi nahi hai." Swara muttered to her emotionally. "Ki meri Maa sahi salamat hai, woh thikh hai, I don't want anything else. I just want my Maa to be fine!"

"Of course, I had to be fine Shona." Sharmishtha told her smiling, which fell a bit as the cause of another possibility dawned upon her. "Who will take care of you and your Dida if something had happened to..." She was immediately shut as Swara's palm slapped her mouth, preventing her from saying what was her darkest nightmare.

"Don't even say that again." Swara uttered to her as tears once again shimmered in her eyes, and Sharmishtha stared at her daughter emotionally. "Do you even realise kya haalat ho gayi thi meri? Here you were fighting for your life, here your condition was getting critical, your surgery and everything happened and there... I feared with the thought of what if something would have happened to you! I swear Maa, I would have died then. Maa you are everything to me, I don't want to lose you. I can't even imagine losing you like this. Not on my watch."