Chapter 26 : It Hurts Me To See You In Pain

"MOM!"

Sanskar uttered in a broken voice as he took in the sight of the fragile lady who was his mother. Only he knew how much he had longed for her, wanted for her to get up and live again, for her to come back. And today, when she was right in front of him, he felt so happy but seeing her condition now closely, he literally felt like screaming in pain. He had always wanted her to come back, yes... but not this way!

But right now, nothing could make him act sane and he ran towards his mother. She was sitting on the bed, her hairs were disheveled, her expression blank. Sanskar didn't care how he looked at that time -- his face was wet with fresh tears, tears were falling down continuously from his eyes like an endless stream. He didn't remember the last time he cried like this but today it didn't matter. Nothing mattered, except for his mother who had returned to him after fifteen, long years. He didn't care that his juniors and people around were staring at him. He didn't care there were other senior doctors in the room. He didn't care about anything, except for that one woman he would turn this world upside down for only for her to be fine again!

"Mom!" He sobbed and sat besides her, grabbing her by her arms. But she shaked when she heard Sanskar calling her in a loud voice. "Mom... you are here... you are back... you are here with me..." He hugged her tightly as if preventing even the smallest thing from taking her away from him again. He shut his eyes tightly and his tears flowed down his cheeks.

"I still can't believe it. You know how much I have wished for this. How much I have waited for this. How much I prayed for this. Do you know how badly I missed you! You will never leave us alone again, right? You will never leave me again, right-"

He was going to kiss her on her head but suddenly, to his extreme shock, she pushed him away, causing him to stumble in his place.

"What are you doing?!" She screamed on the top of her lungs. "Who are you??!!"

His heart stopped. He looked at her with wide teary eyes and parted lips, unable to understand what just happened. He couldn't even regain his prior stance as he couldn't believe what she just said.

"Mom-"

"Who are you?!" She screamed louder.

His heart physically hurt, he couldn't believe it was his mom saying this. He couldn't believe it was real. Maybe everything was an illusion. Maybe he was dreaming. So his mom was up -- was that a dream too?

No. No, it wasn't.

He could feel it that it was real. His mom, Sujata Maheshwari was up and that too, after long fifteen years of coma.

"What?" His voice came out as a shaky whisper. "What do you mean who I am? I'm Sanskar! Dekhiye mujhe mom! I'm your Sanskar, your son. Your-"

"Who Sanskar? I don't know! Stop it. Go from here!"

"Mom, how can you-"

"I SAID LEAVE! I'm not your mom! I'm not anyone's mom. I'm not anyone's wife also! I-"

He cupped his mom's cheeks and whispered, "What happened to you? Don't you remember me?!"

"No! You all have kept me trapped here in this room. You are not letting me go! Even that..." She said glancing towards Ramprasad who was standing outside near the door, watching his wife and son mournfully. "that man was acting the way you are now. But I... I don't believe any of you. I... I don't know anyone here. I don't want to be here! I want to go from here."

Ramprasad wiped his eyes as his heart threatened to burst at the heartbreaking sight of his wife and son. He closed the door and walked away from there, somewhere far away and to a place where nobody would spot him for he wanted to be alone for some time.